Corsair Voltage Question - Please Help

mikeynavy1976

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
I kind of posted this another thread, and tried to contact Corsair but they don't have a phone number listed that I could find on their web page. I was running my recently purchased Corsair Dominator DDR2 PC8500 memory at the recommended EPP of 5-5-5-15 2T timings at 2.1V (my BIOS and HW Monitor would actually show it about 0.04 or 0.05V under 2.1V so I assume that is a maximum BIOS setting). When I ran Memtest86+ I got 13 errors in Tests 5, 6, and 7 (I cancelled Test 8 out of frustration). After trying the "Auto SPD setting in the BIOS" I ended up with over 36 errors just through Test 5. I went back to the 5-5-5-15 2T timings and hesitantly bumped the voltage to 2.2V (BIOS and HW Monitor read 2.16V) in the BIOS and got Memtest86+ to run all 8 tests with 0 errors. Is this normal? My concern is the rating of 2.1V and what negative impact 2.2V will have. I do have the Dominator fan apparatus installed but would like opinions. Do I have bad memory? My memory speed is 1066MHz. I have (G)MCH set at 400 MHz and the memory clock at 2.66. My power supply is a Corsair TX750W. I might add that I just had to rebuild my entire system after an Antec Power supply failed and took all my other components (P4 670/Asus P5AD2E Premium setup) with it. I just want to get a good stable system and know everything is working properly. Please chime in with constructive feedback. Thanks in advance.

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006

mikeynavy1976

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
Thanks for the response. I got a hold of Corsair tech support on the phone today and they said to test the memory in pairs at 2.1V and see what happens. He said 2.2V wouldn't hurt it but that I shouldn't need that at the stock timings and that if they aren't stable at the specified 2.1V that I should exchange them. He said that if the two pairs passed the 8 Memtest tests that I might need to up my MCH voltage to about 1.4V (from the default of 1.1) or just put the memory no higher than 2.2V because the motherboard may not be automatically set for 4 DIMMS. When I ran the test at 2.1V the first pair received errors at Test 5 that froze Memtest...not good. When I tested the 2nd pair under the same settings they passed at 2.1V so I think I'll call Newegg tomorrow and see how long it will take to get a replacement pair sent to me. Thanks for your response and help. Hopefully I can this resolved quickly.