HT ref. clock=225 and won't change

justpete

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
I've run across a strange problem in my overclocking efforts, that I'm hoping someone can help me with.

First, my setup:

Memory: 4GB (2Gx2) Corsair PC2-6400
Processor: AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition (2.8Ghz) with stock cooler
Motherboard:Biostar T-Force TA790GX 128M
Graphics: GeForce 6800GT 512MB

CPU at stock is 2.8 Ghz. Following the excellent AMD OC guide published by Tom's, and using AMD Overdrive, I was able to OC it to 3.4 by setting the Core Multiplier up to 17x and the Voltage to 1.4125; it was stable through 2 hours of Prime95 testing.

I reset the settings back to stock (14x/1.3250), with the intention of setting these levels in the BIOS rather than through AOD. That's when the trouble started: the system Blue-screened when Windows tried to load.

I reset the BIOS back to normal levels, and restarted again, resigning myself to getting my OC on via AOD. However, when AOC started up, it reported the HT ref. Clock level at 225 (stock is 200, where I had left it both in AOD and the BIOS). Trying to change anything in AOD causes the system to hang and emit a loud electronic static from the speakers. Rebooting would fix this, but the levels would not have changed. Meanwhile, I'm stuck at stock speeds.

Curiously, CPU-Z reports the Bus Speed as 200 (not sure if this is the same thing as the reference clock).

I've uninstalled AOD and reinstalled, same results.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong; any suggestions?

justpete

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
Ok, this is really, well, wierd.

I just tried to adjust the HT Ref clock again, by lowering it to 200 and hitting apply.

The system rebooted immediately.

When it came up, HT Ref clock was 200. So I tried again. Another instant reboot.

This time, HT Ref clock was 215. Intrigued, I tried again. The system locked up hard. I power-cycled the box, and it came back up at 210 - and wasn't flagged as RED by AOD anymore.

One last time - and this time AOD didn't lock the box or reboot, but just set the clock back to 200, where it should be.

All through this, CPU-Z was reporting the same info - same Core Speed, same Bus Speed, everything. I'm at a loss.