Next chip generation.

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Wow, that soon? Was hoping for more time to save....

Anyway it will all depend on what AMD releases. If AMD waits then Intel will wait I believe, Intel just wants to destroy whatever AMD can come up with.

onewildbill

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
Owell I wanted to replace my 8400 sometime this year. Its a good chip fast, I just always had bad feeling with this one chip. I had a lot of problems with it. I got a great aftermarket cooler and I still get idle temps of 46c in a 70f room. Using a GA p35 motherboard.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002

Intel is not waiting. They have been pushing Nehalem for months now, so why should they wait to see what AMD has? Right now, AMD doesn't have anything that has the same performance in desktops, compared to Intel's quad core lineup. AMD has Deneb and Shanghai coming, but they are 45nm shrinks of Barcelona, with little or no real tweaks.

Nehalem is scheduled for a Q4 release for servers and high end desktops, Q1/Q2 for mainstream.

The biggest issue would be the X58 or other Nehalem compatible chipsets being available at release.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002

A great aftermarket cooler is nice, but good airflow through your case is also very important.
If you are overclocking, your temps will not be as low as stock speed, idle included.

I would check your case airflow. Make sure you have a good flow through out the case. One or two pulling in, and at least one pulling out.

kad

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008

In addition to what NMDante said
Are you sure your HS is completely processor ???
If you are usinf TRUE HS it needs lapping " Convex "
Which TIM you are using ??
You need a good one like OCZ Freeze Extreme, the best now
What are your OC settings ???

onewildbill

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
As far as cooling I have a
Thermaltake CL-P0257 Blue orb II CPU Cooler for LGA775 & K8 - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106069

My case is Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

I am only running at 3.8 so there is no reason why my temp should be high.

I just have the Thermaltake CPU cooling unit and the half dozen or so fans that came with my case.

I am out away form my desktop for a few more days so I don't recall all my details.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
Well, even though the Blue Orb isn't really compatible with the E8400, it says it can cool a P4, so that should be more than enough, I assume.

I am running stock Intel cooler with my HTPC, and it hardly gets that hot, even when I am multi-tasking with it. And that is in an enclosed Silverstone HTPC case, with 2 fans in the rear of case, and 1 in the front.

I don't know if the Blue Orb is your main problem, but maybe getting the Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134 might help a bit more?

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
@onewildbill: You have your processor overclocked by .8 GHz. That is a pretty heavy overclock considering you are using air cooling. Those temps are fine.

Please don't lap your cpu as kad mentioned, it's just a poor idea. lol.

Difference between the 4XXX series GPU and AMDs nextchip is this: The 4XXX GPU was a brand new GPU. The next AMD chips are more than likely just a die shrink with a few performance enhancements. So in short they are nothing great to hope for or at least they should not be anything to stomp Nehalem.

kad

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
Again I agree with nmdante
For 0.8 GHz OC i.e 27% you need a better HS than Blue Orb
Reports are good about Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro

kad

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008

I don't like lapping but I had to
TRUE base was extremely convex and was dancing if I put on the table
To ensure heat transfer from CPU to HS both surfaces must be flat
The less contact area available the less amount of heat will be transfered
and the more hot processr will get

G

I have over a 1 ghz increase on my e6420... and idle and load temps only increased 5 c....

o well I'm thinking of taking the water cooling "plunge"

pun intended

blackwidow_rsa

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007

his idle temp is stuck, it won't go lower than that. I have the same problem but @ 27c