New PC Build DFI x48 w/Q9450

stevex1ong

Distinguished
May 23, 2008
What's Up Y'all! I'm a beginner, but here it is! (I'm 19yrs old, but bare w/ me.)
Here's my build (for the family and me) that's probably gonna be 24/7... nah more like 12/7 for at least for 5yrs+, had to replace our out-of-date HP:

Case: Coolermaster CM 690 (Quite roomy... I got cut a few times, didn't even know I was bleeding til I saw blood on LG GGW drive)
PSU: OCZ StealthXStream 600w (frist one arrived DOA, afraid it will only last up to 2 years like a customer said @ newegg)
Motherboard: DFI X48 T2R DDR2 (So many settings in the BIOS)
CPU: Core 2 Quad Q9450 still @ 2.66ghz (I might overclock it... just might.. it's tempting - I want to try 8x400mhz)
Fan: Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7 (my cores avg ~ 49 C w/CPUID, I've heard people suggest Everst but haven't bothered tryin)
RAM: Mushkin 4gb (2x2gb) 800mhz (I think there excellent)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 500gb 32mb 7200.11
Drives: LG 20x Sata Burner & LG GGW-H20L (Lightscribe is pretty neat.. haven't tried burning Blu-Ray yet)
GFX: Gigabyte HD3870 512mb GDDR3 (too much in a rush and forgot to see it wasn't GDDR4. And I got 2 DVI-to-VGA and no DVI-to-HDMI conv...oh well I've got 2 DVI-to-HDMI cables)
Extras: Super Talent Card Reader w/ SDHC support...And I'm still deciding on speakers, I really liked the Creative T20 after messing around w/it @ CircuitCity.

Here's 3DMark 2006 @ 1280x1024, a little over 11,000.

Here's my PC. (Yeah I know the desk is pretty messy... and I just cleaned it earlier) LCD's a Westinghouse 24'' L2410NM (nice LCD and pretty decent built in speakers). Keyboard and mouse are Logitech MX3200 Media(really responsive and tracks like a champ, well for the time being.. I just know it's gonna lose it's connection one day).

Here's the front. Oh, btw that's a WD 320gb Passport on top.

Just in case you were wondering, here's my WEI score. (Some people are gonna say 5.9!! that doesn't mean anything!!!)

If anyone happens to know and can Help:
- Sometimes when I "Shut Down" the computer, I have to clear CMOS to get it back to Windows, it happened at least 3 times already. It also happens when I "Restart" sometimes. I almost had an heart attack when it happened to me the first time I turned the computer off, which was the first time I powered it on too.
- Does COMODO Firewall (the free one) interfere with Windows Firewall, and does it interfere w/AVG AntiVirus Free?
- and should get more casefans? are there really going to be that much of a difference.

bobbknight

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
I tried comodo a couple of years back and it did seem to cause me troubles.
Make sure that your windows firewall is off when comodo is active, it should be off but it never hurts to check.
Next go to your control panel/administrative tools/event viewer/system and see if you have any errors.
Make sure you have all the newest drivers for everything in your system.
Startup in safe mode, sometimes it helps to heal the os. Try to not use the reset switch, let windows shut off by it's self, and run the virus checker.
If you get any errors let us know.

akhilles

Splendid
1 - If you haven't, set up bios to STR/S3 (suspend to ram) & update Vista.

2 - It's not a good idea to run 2 firewalls simultaneously unless you know what you're doing. i.e. firewall 1 to block incoming & firewall 2 to block outgoing. Comodo per se is one of the best and free & you can turn off windows firewall. No it won't interfere with AVG, but the 1st time AVG goes online, Comodo will ask you for permission.

3 - The cm690 comes with 3 case fans. Unless you overclock, they're enough.

TRENDING THREADS