Problems with 7900 GT and Code 10

TheReaper

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2007
Hello all,

This is the first time I've ever had to post about my graphics card. I recently reformated my computer (its a HP a1230n) to factory settings, including running on the onboard ATI XPRESS 200 graphics card. After doing all the Windows Updates, and BIOS updates, I began to install my 7900 GT via the EVGA driver download section.

Here's where the problems began. During installation, I picked to install the driver from a specific point (where the .exe had extracted the driver files). Everything went smoothly until the end upon which it told me "This device cannot start. (Code 10)".

I'm honestly unsure as to what to do. I've tried uninstalling the driver and reinstalling it, to no avail. I'm running on the onboard graphics card right now. I'd note though, that I can run on the 7900 GT, there just aren't any drivers installed for it, so its a very basic view, and sluggish when scrolling, ect.

My Motherboard BIOS were set to PCI-Express as default, but I switched to onboard to see if that would produce any change.

Can anyone help? I'm really frustrated and desperate for help.

ilovebarny

Distinguished
May 27, 2008
did you try and google your error message? i find that 85-90% of the time you can find the answer or something close enough for me to figure out the rest.

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Were you running the latest version off of nvidia's site? Or did you use the drivers on teh cd? If you used the cd, don't bother with it. Just download the latest drivers off of N's site. My friend had a similar problem when he installed his card into his old hp. He just had to download the latest drivers.

Hope this helps!