Sign in with
Your question

Esata, usb, solid state, wirelesss disks

Last response: in Storage
August 30, 2009 4:20:31 PM

Hi There

Im going to upgrade my old - non working lacie rugged USB harddisk as the means of transporting data from work to home.

The ideal but maybe somewhatuotopic solution would be a unit that automatically transferred all the new data from my disk at work, and maybe even was a system running on batteries, and then at home transferred the dat ato home machine. Like something that synced the disks automatically.

Im not sure that such a system exists, and problem may be that the disks at home and at work could be about 1 or 2 terrabytes, even though i would normally need to copy arround 10-15 gb, and in high peaks only as much as 100 gb.

This is the dream solution and as i said im not even sure a system is even remotely useable like that, but any comments are welcome, also for simpler setups - just want to know my options.

Im pretty sure both my machiens have e-Sata plugs - if that helps in any way?

Best regards
Karsten
August 30, 2009 6:33:30 PM

If you are thinking about going the e-Sata route, there are several solutions that would offer large and fairly portable storage with software sync/backup. Most of the e-SATA disk solutions I have seen come with software that allows you to copy/backup/sync data in a semi-automatic way. There are additional software solutions (such as SyncBackSE from 2BrightSparks - http://2brightsparks.com) that could help you to fully automate your data sync to your external hard drive.

Hope this gives you some food for thought...
August 31, 2009 5:36:17 PM

Thanks for the reply :-)

- is e-sata setups able to easy, fast and safe plug in and out of the pc?

When unpluggin USB drives you need to "safely remove..." and many times you cant do that because some program is using it is that the same with e-sata?

Thanks

Karsten
a c 342 G Storage
September 1, 2009 3:37:02 PM

eSATA is great for this. First, among the several interface systems between a mobo and an external drive device, eSATA is definitely at the fast end - many times just as fast as an internal SATA drive. (Firewire 800, aka IEEE 1394b is faster, but not common.) For this to work well, you should ensure both that the interface between computer and external drive case is eSATA, and that the interface inside the external case, from case to drive, is SATA II.

Secondly, the eSATA system standard spec's include Hot Swap support, which plain SATA does not (although some SATA controllers include this, anyway). However, check carefully on each system to ensure what requirements must be met to ensure that Hot Swap capability actually is used. It MAY need to use AHCI drivers or something. Search these forums for posts by Somejoe 7777 on this topic - he did some research on it a while ago and got good answers.
!