Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Drive cloning without system file clone.

Last response: in Windows Vista
November 22, 2012 1:41:56 PM

Hey All,

So I want to try to clone a drive, however I don't want to clone the system files i.e. the operating system.

Have a drive that had the operating system fail (i have tries EVERYTHING to fix it), and thus i cannot boot to the drive. Can access the drive via USB and have backed up all of the personal info.

However, i would love to copy all of the installed programs and personal files from this old drive to a new one, without coping over the faulty operating system.

IS THIS POSSIBLE? any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks Erik
November 22, 2012 2:39:24 PM

EzRiIgK said:
Hey All,

So I want to try to clone a drive, however I don't want to clone the system files i.e. the operating system.

Have a drive that had the operating system fail (i have tries EVERYTHING to fix it), and thus i cannot boot to the drive. Can access the drive via USB and have backed up all of the personal info.

However, i would love to copy all of the installed programs and personal files from this old drive to a new one, without coping over the faulty operating system.

IS THIS POSSIBLE? any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks Erik

Copying the installed programs to another drive is useless, as the registry and 1000's of other files they need, dll's etc are not updated. You need to reinstall those programs on the new drive.. As for personal files, copy the folders to the new drive.
m
l
November 22, 2012 3:02:46 PM

Hey ksiemb,

Once again, thanks for the response. It was what is was expecting for an answer. But if i don't ask i wouldn't know for sure.

So here is another question for you, without starting another thread. is it possible to update the damaged drive via USB, thus repairing the systems files?
I bought a copy of windows 7 (when it came out) for my laptop, but since i was so used to vista i never updated my desktop. Is it possible to update (the damaged drive) via USB to windows 7. Since I cannot boot into the drive I cannot, obviously do an update that way. Of course a fresh reinstall will wipe everything.

My reason for trying to rescue this old drive is the fact i have 100's of programs installed and it would take me a very long time to reinstall, if i can even find the programs again.

Agian, any help you would give would be great

Erik
m
l
Related resources
November 22, 2012 3:40:25 PM

EzRiIgK said:
Hey ksiemb,

Once again, thanks for the response. It was what is was expecting for an answer. But if i don't ask i wouldn't know for sure.

So here is another question for you, without starting another thread. is it possible to update the damaged drive via USB, thus repairing the systems files?
I bought a copy of windows 7 (when it came out) for my laptop, but since i was so used to vista i never updated my desktop. Is it possible to update (the damaged drive) via USB to windows 7. Since I cannot boot into the drive I cannot, obviously do an update that way. Of course a fresh reinstall will wipe everything.

My reason for trying to rescue this old drive is the fact i have 100's of programs installed and it would take me a very long time to reinstall, if i can even find the programs again.

Agian, any help you would give would be great

Erik

The drive you want to repair is an external USB or you are going to boot via usb to repair another drive ? I'm confused ! A normall repair senario of on OS would be a boot from CD/DVD, or repair install, and that would look for a windows partition on most likely the C: Drive.
m
l
November 22, 2012 4:29:09 PM

Hey ksiemb,

sorry i wasn't more clear. the drive is an external SATA HHD. i have a SATA-USB converter, and plenty of SATA ports on my motherboard.

one of the first things that i did when the hard drive failed was to try a windows installation repair and a reinstallation. however, when you boot to the CD/DVD the only option if a fresh install, that of course wipes everything. of course, again, not what i want.

if i can just get the windows boot fixed everything would be great. the drive has passed every scan so it is not phyically damaged. its just windows that needs to be repaired.

thanks again,

erik
m
l
November 22, 2012 5:01:09 PM

EzRiIgK said:
Hey ksiemb,

sorry i wasn't more clear. the drive is an external SATA HHD. i have a SATA-USB converter, and plenty of SATA ports on my motherboard.

one of the first things that i did when the hard drive failed was to try a windows installation repair and a reinstallation. however, when you boot to the CD/DVD the only option if a fresh install, that of course wipes everything. of course, again, not what i want.

if i can just get the windows boot fixed everything would be great. the drive has passed every scan so it is not phyically damaged. its just windows that needs to be repaired.

thanks again,

erik

Vista startup repair doesn't help you ? - Sorry if I don't understand, but my attention has been in the kitchen with the Turkey !
m
l
November 22, 2012 5:09:59 PM

Unfortunately, no! Have ran it a couple of times. the first taking over an hour. upon re-boot, same results!!

I understand about the delay, just happy to get some kinda of response on a holiday. single, no turkey, no life!! HA

gonna attempt to explain succinctly:

want to do a reinstall, via CD/DVD to a drive other than c:. either via sata or usb. is it possible, or is there another piece of software/program that can do something like this, to a drive other than c:

any help would be great!

Erik
m
l

Best solution

November 22, 2012 5:12:48 PM

Quote:
want to do a reinstall, via CD/DVD to a drive other than c:. either via sata or usb. is it possible, or is there another piece of software/program that can do something like this, to a drive other than c:

You can do a clean install that way but not a repair install.
November 27, 2012 4:56:33 PM

Best answer selected by EzRiIgK.
m
l
!