corrupted file crashing Palm desktop

August 29, 2004 8:55:50 PM

Although the Palm still seems to hotsynch normally, I get an error
message every time I try to run the desktop software. The error is
related to file MFC42.DLL.

Reinstalling Palm Desktop does not fix this problem.

Any suggestions on how I might resolve this problem?

JZ
Anonymous
August 30, 2004 1:59:44 AM

"J. Z. Al-Huriyeh" <alhuriyeh@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> Although the Palm still seems to hotsynch normally, I get an error
> message every time I try to run the desktop software. The error is
> related to file MFC42.DLL.
>
> Reinstalling Palm Desktop does not fix this problem.
>
> Any suggestions on how I might resolve this problem?
>
> JZ

This may be related to outdated software on your operating system. What
version of Windows are you using?

HOWEVER, Microsoft says that the .dll file is related to installing Xupiter
software on your machine. That stuff is insidious, and needs to be removed
with spyware removal tools, and sometimes, with manual activities.

Hope this link helps: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813181
Anonymous
August 30, 2004 7:15:08 AM

> "J. Z. Al-Huriyeh" <alhuriyeh@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Although the Palm still seems to hotsynch normally, I get an error
> > message every time I try to run the desktop software. The error is
> > related to file MFC42.DLL.
> >
> > Reinstalling Palm Desktop does not fix this problem.
> >
> > Any suggestions on how I might resolve this problem?
> >
> > JZ
>
> This may be related to outdated software on your operating system. What
> version of Windows are you using?
>
> HOWEVER, Microsoft says that the .dll file is related to installing
Xupiter
> software on your machine. That stuff is insidious, and needs to be removed
> with spyware removal tools, and sometimes, with manual activities.
>
> Hope this link helps: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813181

The MS article cited is titled, "Error Message in Mfc42.dll Appears When
Starting, and then Internet Explorer Quits". JZ doesn't report any of the
symptoms listed in the article. MFC42.DLL is a Microsoft Foundation Class
library and can affect virtually any executable that interacts with the
operating system or IE; a description can be found here:

http://www.fortunecity.com/skyscraper/fortune/570/mfc42...

One likely explanation is that there is a version mismatch, due to some
other software being installed. Xupiter is one possibility but there are
thousands of others. If running XP, try going back to a restore point
before the last software package installed prior to the abnormal behavior.
One could simply download the latest version and give that a whack.

Anyone else?

Lost In The Ozone, Again.
August 31, 2004 12:56:49 AM

"litoa77" <bugbiter@comcast.net> wrote in message

> > "J. Z. Al-Huriyeh" <alhuriyeh@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > Although the Palm still seems to hotsynch normally, I get an error
> > > message every time I try to run the desktop software. The error is
> > > related to file MFC42.DLL.
> > >
> > > Reinstalling Palm Desktop does not fix this problem.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions on how I might resolve this problem?
> > >
> > > JZ
> >
> > This may be related to outdated software on your operating system. What
> > version of Windows are you using?
> >
> > HOWEVER, Microsoft says that the .dll file is related to installing
> Xupiter
> > software on your machine. That stuff is insidious, and needs to be
removed
> > with spyware removal tools, and sometimes, with manual activities.
> >
> > Hope this link helps: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813181
> >

> The MS article cited is titled, "Error Message in Mfc42.dll Appears When
> Starting, and then Internet Explorer Quits". JZ doesn't report any of the
> symptoms listed in the article. MFC42.DLL is a Microsoft Foundation Class
> library and can affect virtually any executable that interacts with the
> operating system or IE; a description can be found here:
>
> http://www.fortunecity.com/skyscraper/fortune/570/mfc42...
>
> One likely explanation is that there is a version mismatch, due to some
> other software being installed. Xupiter is one possibility but there are
> thousands of others. If running XP, try going back to a restore point
> before the last software package installed prior to the abnormal behavior.
> One could simply download the latest version and give that a whack.
>
> Anyone else?
>

> Lost In The Ozone, Again.

Xupiter is definitely worth checking out, as I have helped others -- not
using Outlook Express -- who are having this software foul up their systems.
Yes, there are thousands of other possibilities...but this one has been in
my own realm of experience.
Anonymous
August 31, 2004 9:13:49 PM

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 20:56:49 -0400, "Peter Franks"
<hazard53@mailcan.removethis.com> wrote:

>"litoa77" <bugbiter@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>> > "J. Z. Al-Huriyeh" <alhuriyeh@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message

>> > This may be related to outdated software on your operating system. What
>> > version of Windows are you using?
>> >
>> > HOWEVER, Microsoft says that the .dll file is related to installing
>> Xupiter
>> > software on your machine. That stuff is insidious, and needs to be
>removed
>> > with spyware removal tools, and sometimes, with manual activities.
>> >
>> > Hope this link helps: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813181
>> >

>> The MS article cited is titled, "Error Message in Mfc42.dll Appears When
>> Starting, and then Internet Explorer Quits". JZ doesn't report any of the
>> symptoms listed in the article. MFC42.DLL is a Microsoft Foundation Class
>> library and can affect virtually any executable that interacts with the
>> operating system or IE; a description can be found here:
>>
>> http://www.fortunecity.com/skyscraper/fortune/570/mfc42...
>>
>> One likely explanation is that there is a version mismatch, due to some
>> other software being installed. Xupiter is one possibility but there are
>> thousands of others. If running XP, try going back to a restore point
>> before the last software package installed prior to the abnormal behavior.
>> One could simply download the latest version and give that a whack.
>>
>> Anyone else?
>>

>> Lost In The Ozone, Again.
>>

>Xupiter is definitely worth checking out, as I have helped others -- not
>using Outlook Express -- who are having this software foul up their systems.
>Yes, there are thousands of other possibilities...but this one has been in
>my own realm of experience.

I run Ad-aware on this system every few days, and I've never detected
that program. You could be right, but how would I find this program
anyway?

Also, I did download a fresh copy of the MFC42.DLL from a tech help
website, but this file seems to be used by Windows while it's running.
Initially my idea was to rename the old file and copy the new file
into the SYSTEM folder but if Windows needs this file to run, won;t
that crash Windows?

JZ
Anonymous
September 1, 2004 10:06:47 AM

> On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 20:56:49 -0400, "Peter Franks"
> <hazard53@mailcan.removethis.com> wrote:
>

> >"litoa77" <bugbiter@comcast.net> wrote in message

What

> >> Xupiter
> >removed

> >> The MS article cited is titled, "Error Message in Mfc42.dll Appears
When
> >> Starting, and then Internet Explorer Quits". JZ doesn't report any of
the
> >> symptoms listed in the article. MFC42.DLL is a Microsoft Foundation
Class
> >> library and can affect virtually any executable that interacts with the
> >> operating system or IE; a description can be found here:
> >>
> >> http://www.fortunecity.com/skyscraper/fortune/570/mfc42...
> >>
> >> One likely explanation is that there is a version mismatch, due to some
> >> other software being installed. Xupiter is one possibility but there
are
> >> thousands of others. If running XP, try going back to a restore point
> >> before the last software package installed prior to the abnormal
behavior.
> >> One could simply download the latest version and give that a whack.
> >>
> >> Anyone else?
> >>

> >> Lost In The Ozone, Again.
> >>

> >Xupiter is definitely worth checking out, as I have helped others -- not
> >using Outlook Express -- who are having this software foul up their
systems.
> >Yes, there are thousands of other possibilities...but this one has been
in
> >my own realm of experience.
>
> I run Ad-aware on this system every few days, and I've never detected
> that program. You could be right, but how would I find this program
> anyway?
>
> Also, I did download a fresh copy of the MFC42.DLL from a tech help
> website, but this file seems to be used by Windows while it's running.
> Initially my idea was to rename the old file and copy the new file
> into the SYSTEM folder but if Windows needs this file to run, won;t
> that crash Windows?
>
> JZ

I use Ad-Aware, and use their "custom" settings, since that helps ferret out
some of the better-placed spyware. Those settings came from instructions on
their site for virus prevention. And the link from Microsoft may have some
extra help, plus an Internet search on removing Xupiter. That stuff gets
into the directory, as well as putting files in the system. You may not have
it, but you could search for Xupiter files and delete them (best in safe
mode).

Sometimes, a file can be replaced by (1) downloading (no kidding?),
(2)starting the computer in safe mode and finding the directory that the
original is in, (3) renaming it slightly, like mfc-old, (4) putting the
fresh file in its place, (5) start Windows and see if it helps.

There may be other software conflicts, and you'll have to think back to what
the last few things you modified in the system. Running an updated virus
scanner won't hurt, either.

HTH
!