mrplow99

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
Is there any ruff time this cpu will come out, will it be before September?

Reason being wondering if its worth waiting it out for price drops on other cpus, before new pc build sometime in august, advice welcome.

All help welcome.

Plow

randomizer

Champion
Price drops at release, if they affect anything, will only affect the current high end chips. However, I'd be surprised if they changed at all, since the top-end chips rarely drop in price. You can still buy PD EE chips for $1500 here.

4745454b

Titan
I'm also hearing rumors that the desktop versions won't have an IMC. I only heard that once or twice, so I'm not sure how true that is. The rumor claims that the Q3 or Q4 for 08 will be IMC server chips only. (I think they require server memory, or even those horrible FB-Dimms) Desktop versions will hit in Q1 09, and will lack the IMC. Desktop versions with the IMC aren't supposed to hit until the second half of 09. I have no clue how true this rumor is.

Seeing as we are spreading/asking for rumors, the other one I heard is that Intel is currently having issues with yields. Rumor says the price for these chips will stay high, for quite some time unless yields go up.

pausert20

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
I agree, with cjl. The HEDT boards will use the Tylersburg chipset and that will only work with the Bloomfield processors which use the 1366 pin socket.

The processor and chipset will launch in Q4 for the Server, Workstation and HEDT market.

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
I would not be holding my breath waiting,if the rumors are true,and,maybe there is some substance as intel it not making much noise at the moment,and also the $$$ that intel is going to want,well,,,,anyhow there are lots of good choices for the time being,and lets face it,, the software needs to catch up to the hardware anyhow,,non??.:)

Yep, specifically a 3.2GHz Bloomfield Extreme Edition (or whatever the hell they decide to call it) with 6.4GT/s QP and triple channel DDR3, and a 2.93 and 2.66GHz non-extreme with a 4.8GT/s QP. At least this is what I've heard is coming in Q4. All on LGA1366. We'll have to see how accurate it is.

(Anyone taking bets on how much Intel will want for the 3.2GHz model?)

mrplow99

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
Thanks for help guys, ill just buy as soon as i get the money then, no point in waiting for that, especially if it needs ddr3.

Just_An_Engineer

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008

Not sure I agree with the statement about AMD folding if Intel releases several Nehalem models at once. It would just create a situation where Intel's processors are faster than AMD's but much more expensive. That's pretty much the same situation we've had for the past year so I don't really see it affecting AMD's market presence.

Now, if Intel could come out with a Nehalem model that cost less than $200 and motherboards for it that cost less than $150 then I might agree with you, but I for one doubt that we will see either of those things happen for quite some time.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008

I doubt it considering that AMD will be coming out with a 2 socket motherboard dual Deneb system platform in early 2009.It also will be a substantially less expensive than a Intel Skulltrail system too.

antonmadcow

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008
jj463rd, it took AMD almost a year to solve the TLB with a B3, now they have CnQ screwing up the Phenoms and you think that they can pull off a dual socket Deneb? Sure, something may be out in 2009, but can that bunch of incompetents actually make it work?

epsilon84

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006

I guess AMD hasn't learnt their QuadFX lesson....

antonmadcow

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008

Only if you're naive enough to think that AMD put the CPUs on the market and then discovered, oops... we made a booboo. If they didn't know about it before launch then that just proves that they're as incompetent as I believe and if they did know about it before launch then that proves that they're a bunch of scam artists.

Can you tell that I'm a real AMD fan? :bounce: