What is the next step up from a 8800GT? 8800GTS?

I currently have this in my cart.....is there anything for a little more $$$$ that will
outperform it?

EVGA 512-P3-N801-AR GeForce 8800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130318
12 answers Last reply
More about what step 8800gt 8800gts
  1. The G92 8800GTS is about 10% faster than the 8800GT. Is it worth the extra $$$? That's for you to decide.
  2. hmm...this is only 35$ more:

    Is this a good step up?
    EVGA 640-P2-N829-AR GeForce 8800GTS SSC 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130317
  3. No, get the GTS 512MB if you can afford it.
  4. Jim_L9 said:
    No, get the GTS 512MB if you can afford it.


    Swapped the 8800GT to this 8800GTS (G92 chip)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130325
  5. y2kgtp said:
    hmm...this is only 35$ more:

    Is this a good step up?
    EVGA 640-P2-N829-AR GeForce 8800GTS SSC 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130317

    this is not G92, it is a POS.
  6. grieve said:
    this is not G92, it is a POS.


    yeah, I figured that out after reading the reviews.....thinking this one over:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130325
  7. $209, not my fav brand though.

    MSI NX8800GTS 512M OC GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127325
  8. y2kgtp said:
    yeah, I figured that out after reading the reviews.....thinking this one over:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130325

    If I were in the market for a vid card i would go for an EVGA myself...$214 after mail in on the one you picked you cant go wrong.
  9. grieve said:
    If I were in the market for a vid card i would go for an EVGA myself...$214 after mail in on the one you picked you cant go wrong.

    Here's $159.99 after mir, for the same g92 8800gts. It only has 3 year warranty instead of lifetime, but it's $55 less. Besides, it'll be long obsolete after 3 years anyway.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814134037
  10. why not get a 8800GT and overclock it, you could probley get it as high as the GTS, the only way its not going to be as good is it dosnt hae as many stream proc's 112 vs 128
  11. bacoss said:
    why not get a 8800GT and overclock it, you could probley get it as high as the GTS, the only way its not going to be as good is it dosnt hae as many stream proc's 112 vs 128

    Because it comes with only a single slot cooler, thus causing heat problems on oc. Plus the chip is lower binned, thus, do not oc as high. Some 8800gt do not oc at all. Chances of getting a bad apple is low, but some do get it. Gts version with higher binned chips are garaunteed to oc to at least 750mhz stable. There is only a $10-$30 difference. Not worth it.
  12. bacoss said:
    why not get a 8800GT and overclock it, you could probley get it as high as the GTS, the only way its not going to be as good is it dosnt hae as many stream proc's 112 vs 128


    I was planning on that....but you know....a few $$$ more here....a few more $$$ there....
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards PCI Express Graphics Product