PWM fan with antec 620 cooler?

skaz

Distinguished
EDIT UPDATE: I ended up not using the antec 620 and sticking with my venx heatsink. Read below for more info.

I have an antec 620 cooler waiting to be installed and was wondering if it would be okay to use a Pwm fan with it. I would use a 3 pin header for the pump and the cpu 4 pin header for the fan ideally.

Just want to cover my bases and make sure this is okay to do. Id rather not have a fan blowing full force if its not needed.

Thanks.

skaz

Distinguished
Update: Tried the PWM fan, an Enermax UCTB12P. It worked like you'd expect. But was way to loud. Fan RPM was much higher then when it was settled on my venmous x heatsink. Had it set up to exhaust the heat. Temps sucked.

Removed the pwm fan and put in a TR silent x fan. Positioned the fan to intake air. Plugged fan into the female connector on the pump. Fan won't even power on =/. Temps are in 40s without fan even working. Going to have to open her up again and plug the fan into a working header and see what happens.

Not happy with this thing so far.

Update: Fan is powered on now through fan controller. Running at 1000-1050RPM. Idle temps dropped to a more reasonable 35-40 range.

Update: Ran Prime, temps were in mid 60s
temp-1.jpg

Think I might return this thing.

skaz

Distinguished
BF 3 - hour session yielded 56-56-53-53 temps on all four cores.

I know prime isn't the best gauge for normal use. But its great for comparisons. Example being my venomous X heatsink. My VenX temps were comparable to this unit. The pump is kind of annoying with the clicking noise. And the fan connector on the pump doesn't work. Might have return/exchange just for that reason as I wan't to be able to sell it later on down the road if I do decide to keep it.

skaz

Distinguished
I decided to do some more testing. Perhaps this thread may help someone later on down the road. I put back in my TR Venomous X and used my 3 pin 120mm X-silent fan in a push configuration. The same fan I was using during my last test with the Antec 620.

Idle temps: VenX with X-silent in push -
venxidletemps.jpg

Load (prime) temps: Venx with X-silent in push -
venxload.jpg

Temps are better than the antec 620 and with only one fan in a push configuration at only 1050rpm. And no annoying pump clicking noise. Think I'm going to stick with my venX for now.

TRENDING THREADS