Computer randomly restarts during gaming

anthony1

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
I built a computer about 3 months ago, and its been restarting after random periods of time (10 min, 2 hours, etc.) when I play games such as Call of Duty 4, Bioshock, and not until recently, Team Fortress 2. The specs on my computer are:

- Gigabyte GAM57SLI-S4 mobo
- AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ (stock CPU fan)
- OCZ 2GB DDR2800 (2 x 1GB)
- 320GB Western Digital HD
- ASUS 20X DVD-R
- XFX 8800GT 512MB
- Raidmax 630W PSU

Everything is updated, and I don't think its that any of the parts are overheating. I have a large tower case with 3 fans going, and when I check the CPU temp with the gigabyte tool, it only gets to the mid-50's degrees Celsius while gaming. I don't know how to check the GPU or mobo components for temp, so I can't say anything about those.

I'm quick to blame the PSU for the problem, but I'm not ready to just dump $150 on a new one just yet until I'm sure it's the problem. Any help/comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

sailer

Splendid
I'd suspect the Raidmax PSU as well. One other thing you might check is what voltage the ram is set at in the BIOS. Often the BIOS defaults ram voltage to 1.8v, but the ram specs are for higher voltage. If the default is too low, a game can crash out at unpredictable times.

stoner133

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008
First thing I would check right after you make sure the RAM voltage is set correctly is to run Memtest86 on the memory. OCZ quality control could have let a bad one ship by accident, happens to all the good companys from time to time. It doesn't cost you a dime to run Memtest.

You could have driver problems, but I would suspect your PSU first.

Raidmax is a Tier 5 manufacturer:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=108088

It may be rated as a 630 watt PSU, but a lot of that power is unusable. 36 amps is pretty light for a 630 watt PSU. Based on the 12 volt rating, it's more like a 450 watt PSU. My 650 watt Antec can provide 52 amps.

What is probably happening is that under heavy CPU and graphics load, the 12 volt output drops out for a moment. The PSU detects this and drops a control line called "PSGood" (pin 8 - gray wire) to 0 volts. This automatically forces a hardware CPU reset. Your PC probably runs fine during normal applications or 'net surfing.

anthony1

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007

That's exactly why I'm blaming the PSU. It does run fine during normal applications and just surfing the net. I've been looking to get a Silverstone 750W PSU with a single 12V rail, as I've been hearing lots of good things about a single rail. I just want to be sure that it would solve my problem.

I have yet to run memtest, but I'll post if it turns out there is a problem with the RAM.

+1