Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Cloning disk fixes S.M.A.R.T errors ?

Last response: in Storage
August 31, 2009 3:40:39 AM

Hey guys (girls?) I am helping my friend fix his computer and I have a question for you all. It seems as though his hard drive is about to fail as confirmed by the 2 SMART tests I ran on it. We have come to the point where the drive needs to be replaced. Here is my question, if I use disk cloning software to clone the failing disk onto a new perfectly good disk will the new disk have the same problems/errors as the old failing disk. As far as I know SMART only detects hardware issues so as long as some problems with the hardware on the old disk don't get in the way the new drive should be a-ok, right?

Thanks for your interest and help, :hello: 
Nick
August 31, 2009 4:08:46 AM

it should work, so long as the data gets copied correctly
m
l

Best solution

August 31, 2009 4:10:28 AM

El Chupacabura said:
Hey guys (girls?) I am helping my friend fix his computer and I have a question for you all. It seems as though his hard drive is about to fail as confirmed by the 2 SMART tests I ran on it. We have come to the point where the drive needs to be replaced. Here is my question, if I use disk cloning software to clone the failing disk onto a new perfectly good disk will the new disk have the same problems/errors as the old failing disk. As far as I know SMART only detects hardware issues so as long as some problems with the hardware on the old disk don't get in the way the new drive should be a-ok, right?

Thanks for your interest and help, :hello: 
Nick

Theoretically, if the Smart electronics are doing their job, then you should get a clean 'clone' Practically, if there is data in an unrecoverable sector, then you will get a 'clone' with some bad data in it. You will not 'clone' a physical bad sector to a new drive, as both drives only know abour their own structure, not the structure of any other drive. Clear as mud?
Related resources
August 31, 2009 4:39:49 AM

^ oh don't worry it makes sense to me croc, that was what I was thinking, I just needed someone with more experience to validate my hypothesis.
m
l
August 31, 2009 4:53:21 AM

El Chupacabura said:
^ oh don't worry it makes sense to me croc, that was what I was thinking, I just needed someone with more experience to validate my hypothesis.

We are only here to help...

Good luck to you and your mate. Hope it turns out well.
m
l
!