Temperature of Athlon 5200+ Brisbane 2.7Ghz

yingwuzhao

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
I have this CPU, It runs idle at 47C @2.7, and when using cool-n-quiet, it runs at 40C @idle. Is this normal? Do I need to re-apply thermal paste?
Thanks, guys.

FeareX

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
What's your maximum temperature? The idle temp seems to be a bit high, but if your temp doesn't get over 60*C your safe.

yingwuzhao

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
thanks for the quick reply.

My maximum temperature is around 57C, when do some big flashplaying or play CS:S.
Yes, it is not extremely unreasonable. But I was reading other people's 5200+ idles only at around 30C with only HSF, and never exceed 45C on load. I wonder what's wrong with my setup, I use a better cooler, my case is Shuttle XPC sn68sg2, they have a pretty good cooling system.
http://global.shuttle.com/product_detail.jsp?PI=647

The only problem I could think of is maybe I didn't apply the thermal paste well. When I install this CPU, I used a mixer of the paste left over there with some new paste I scraped off from the stock cooler of 5200+, I don't know whether this could give me some problem? a mixture of 2 pastes!

arges86

Distinguished
57 seems a bit high
i've always been told not to exceed 50 C
I'd try cleaning out any dust from the fans and heatsink,
and if that doesn't work, then reapplying the TIM
use a good brand, like Artic Silver or something

lakers_421

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2008
Yeah those temps are a little warm. I have the same chip overclocked to 3 Ghz and as of right now Im reading 31 C and never reach above 48 C on full load. As the above poster has said just re-apply the thermal paste and clean out all the fans and such. Oh and I'm using stock cooling.

Yeah......... mixing pastes isn't a good idea. Anyway that Artic Silver ought to do just fine. 57 C is a little high for the stock clock speed after all, but you shouldn't really have any problem as long as you don't go over 60 C. Generally around 58-59 C is when a Brisbane chip would tend to begin to be unstable and prone to crashing depending on the voltage and sample.

yingwuzhao

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
I just apply the new thermal paster, exactly according to the instruction from Articsilver's official instruction.

Surprisingly, the temperature of my computer is almost exactly the same as before!!

It idles at 1Ghz at 41C with fan at 1025 RPM
It idles at 1.8Ghz at 44C with fan at 971 RPM
It idels at 2.7Ghz at 47C with fan at 1030 RPM
And the max temp I got is 57C with fan at 2780 RPM

:cry: :cry: :cry:

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
First I would turn off CNQ in the bios and run the fan 100%
I never did trust it.
Also what other cooling do you have in your case?
If the air being blown onto the CPU is warm obviously it wont cool as well.
Be sure that at least one fan is blowing in and one blowing out.
Ive seen this happen before.

yingwuzhao

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
Thanks for your advise, man. But running fun 100% would be noisy as hell.
I only have one fan, the case is damn small from shuttle, I swear I will not buy small factor form anymore.

Everything is the case is hot, the CPU is the coolest thing in there. The GPU is around 60C, hard drive is about 55C, they all stuck in there. I guess the ambient temp inside the case is high, that's why the CPU can't be cool!

Well, I decide not to care about it anymore. It has never given me any problem anyway. Let me make my life easier by worring one less thing...

Thanks to all of you guys who replied to me.
Peace.
:D :D :D

G

I would just like to add one more thing to the problem analysis. The CPU temp besides the mentioned factors like cooler, thermal paste, dust in fans and case also depends on the room ambient / temperature. The same computer would show one temperature in a room with 25C for example comparing to its usage in a room that measures 18C (winter or use of air conditioner). In this example the CPU would probably measure a difference of 7C i.e. the same as the room temperature difference. This is one of the main reason that produces confusion and different readings with different users. One other thing that influences the temperature of the CPU is the type of computer case used and the other components used. The case: how well it can be vented i.e. the configuration of the air flow. The components: well the most influential can be the graphic card used. The more powerful the GPU is the more heat it generates and dissipates and this affects the air in the case from which the CPU is actually being cooled. For example if the same computer's GPU is GMA 950 which is quite cool when operating comparing to an installed GeForce 8800, it is normal for one to expect that the computer's CPU when housing the GeForce will run hotter comparing to the situation when the same computer is running with only GMA 950. Most probably that the difference in the CPU temp will be more than 5C in this case.

Imelon

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
Heyhey,

I've got a 5000+ BE inside the SN68SG2..

The secret: the Shuttle's bios overvolts the cpu by 0.04-0.06 volts on top of stock voltage.

Check it out yourself with CPU-Z or Speedfan...

My cpu's VID is set at 1,35 v , but the Shuttle applies some additional voltage at load, which makes it 1,396 to 1,42 volt.

This is what's causing your cpu's high temps. I experienced the same thing.

Solution: try downloading RM Clock by Rightmark. It allows you to set cpu voltages and clock speeds manually and create your own Cool&Quiet power scheme using P-state transitions. Your Athlon will run nice and cool like it should.. (BAD BAD Shuttle Inc.... :fou: )

Cheers and good luck!

yingwuzhao

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
Hey, thank you!

I will definitely check it out when I come back home today, it's a surprise that shuttle would do this, for what?

By the way, can you adjust the voltage in bios manually, without the help of some application? I am running linux only in this shuttle.

Imelon

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
No problem .. ;)

Well, you can add éxtra current in the bios, but you can't undervolt the cpu there, that's why one needs the applications under a MS os...

Maybe you can find an updated AMD C'nQ driver for linux platforms, to make sure C 'n Q is definitely working.. that would probably help bringing your temps down too, if it isn't working properly at the moment, that is..