CD/dvd drive not working and missing

honeybear11012

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
I was locked out of my HP Pavilion dv6000 laptop because I couldn't remember my password for windows vista 32 bit so I reset to factory on the 11/20/12. Everything was working just fine, on the 21st I ripped a cd into my computer with no problems. Later that night after I had installed some programs that I had prior to resetting, decided to rip some cds The cd player would not play or allow me to view files or rip. Windows media player says a cd drive needs to be installed, did not give error code, when i inserted a disc to try to rip. I checked BIOS and device manager and there is no listing for the driver. I have tried the regedit found the correct place but could not find the upper or lower filters. I have been searching for a solution for 2 days now and have not found a solution to my problem. When I reset my laptop I had to lose over 3000 photos, mostly of my children, luckily I have 90% of my photos burned on discs but I would like to upload them again but without the cd/dvd drive working it is impossible. I also need to be able to use the cd drive for my job, which means I have not been able to work for 2 days now. This is really frustrating and any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

If it's a laptop (missed that part in the original post) then there are no cables to check, the CD/DVD drive plugs directly into the motherboard. Since the drive does not appear in BIOS then there's a very high probability that the drive has failed and requires replacement.