Your question

CD/dvd drive not working and missing

Tags:
  • Drivers
  • CD-Rom
  • Windows Vista
Last response: in Windows Vista
November 23, 2012 8:22:42 PM

I was locked out of my HP Pavilion dv6000 laptop because I couldn't remember my password for windows vista 32 bit so I reset to factory on the 11/20/12. Everything was working just fine, on the 21st I ripped a cd into my computer with no problems. Later that night after I had installed some programs that I had prior to resetting, decided to rip some cds The cd player would not play or allow me to view files or rip. Windows media player says a cd drive needs to be installed, did not give error code, when i inserted a disc to try to rip. I checked BIOS and device manager and there is no listing for the driver. I have tried the regedit found the correct place but could not find the upper or lower filters. I have been searching for a solution for 2 days now and have not found a solution to my problem. When I reset my laptop I had to lose over 3000 photos, mostly of my children, luckily I have 90% of my photos burned on discs but I would like to upload them again but without the cd/dvd drive working it is impossible. I also need to be able to use the cd drive for my job, which means I have not been able to work for 2 days now. This is really frustrating and any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

More about : dvd drive working missing

a b \ Driver
November 23, 2012 8:24:49 PM

If the BIOS doesn't see the drive then there are 2 possibilities:

1. Loose connectors on the drive or motherboard.
2. Failed drive.
m
l
November 23, 2012 8:31:29 PM

everything else is working fine... except for quick play. Anything that has to do with disc will not work. if it is what you suggested.. how do i fix it
m
l
Related resources
a b \ Driver
November 23, 2012 8:33:18 PM

Open the PC and retighten all the cables that connect to the CD/DVD drive, then check to see if the drive is listed in BIOS. If not, replace the drive.
m
l
November 23, 2012 8:33:44 PM

could something that i may have downloaded corrupted the drive?
m
l
a b \ Driver
November 23, 2012 8:37:59 PM

No
m
l
November 23, 2012 8:38:34 PM

ooh that's scary, I've never opened my laptop before, but I will try it. if it needs to be replaced, what's the best way to do that
m
l
a b \ Driver
November 23, 2012 8:40:45 PM

If it's a laptop (missed that part in the original post) then there are no cables to check, the CD/DVD drive plugs directly into the motherboard. Since the drive does not appear in BIOS then there's a very high probability that the drive has failed and requires replacement.
m
l
November 23, 2012 8:51:46 PM

what's the best way to replace it... this has never happened to me before
m
l
a b \ Driver
November 23, 2012 8:54:39 PM

Take it to a service center and let them. If it's still under warranty it won't cost. If not it could wind up over $200 Parts & labor (mostly parts)
m
l
November 23, 2012 8:57:19 PM

ok... no it's not under warranty anymore.. would an external cd drive work for now
m
l
a b \ Driver
November 23, 2012 8:59:19 PM

External should work just fine. Not as convenient, but workable.
m
l
November 23, 2012 9:05:14 PM

ok thank you so much for your help. I guess I'll quit searching for a fix now. Wish i would have found this site 2 days ago would have saved a lot of headaches.
m
l
!