Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How to do a win xp REPAIR when you fogot the admin pw?

Last response: in Windows XP
September 23, 2010 5:51:02 PM

For a windows xp repair, how do I log onto windows administrator when I forgot the password?

my windows is corrupt from a virus. I do not at this time do a format since I have a lot of data on it. SO I was trying to do a respair using the install disc. When I attempted to do this, windows asked me to enter the adminstrator's password, and apparently I do not know. it gave me three shots. NOW WHAT?

Additional Details
it gets worse: I then rebooted after windows did not let me guess a fourth time. I chose R at this time; however, instead of letting me have another shot at the admin pw, it just pput into the c:/windows .

More about : win repair fogot admin

Best solution

September 23, 2010 5:56:04 PM

Boot from the XP CD. Press any key to proceed when prompted or it will skip the CD and go to Windows.

To learn a lot more about doing a repair, click
HERE.
September 23, 2010 6:27:30 PM

thanks. that is a good link. i followed it - vs selecting R as I wanted to do above. i did have a question/concern in that after windows did the initial delete/copy of key files, it then wanted to reboot and in the reboot , it asked for the install disk again. I did provided this , and I got the install screen - where it takes about 40 mintes. Since that procedure was so well documented, and it left out the details of putting in the disc again and do the install, I hope I am not affecting all my data.
m
l
Related resources
September 23, 2010 7:04:10 PM

When you're doing a repair, setup copies files to the hard drive and then restarts. At that point, you wouldn't want to do the "Push any key thing" or you'll start all over.

A note here. After the repair is completed, you need to re-install all updates, and Direct-X as well as .Net Framework if you had it before as the repair is more of a "revert" process that puts the machine back to square one, except your programs and files are still there, but they may not work right until the updates are restored and NOT by "System Restore."
m
l
September 30, 2010 6:41:44 AM

Best answer selected by idic5.
m
l
September 30, 2010 6:42:07 AM

great tip . thanks
m
l
November 9, 2012 8:20:00 PM

The linkposted by tigsounds is dead..... Damnit.

Im having the same issue as OP. Its a laptop my school gave to me when I graduated. I need to run windows repair but am stuck at admin password that I do not know.

Help?
m
l
November 18, 2012 12:48:26 PM

idic5 said:
For a windows xp repair, how do I log onto windows administrator when I forgot the password?

my windows is corrupt from a virus. I do not at this time do a format since I have a lot of data on it. SO I was trying to do a respair using the install disc. When I attempted to do this, windows asked me to enter the adminstrator's password, and apparently I do not know. it gave me three shots. NOW WHAT?

Additional Details
it gets worse: I then rebooted after windows did not let me guess a fourth time. I chose R at this time; however, instead of letting me have another shot at the admin pw, it just pput into the c:/windows .
2 way f10 then hold down windows key+R at start-up ;) 
m
l
!