Sign in with
Your question

Need 4 Speed: laptop 7200 VS esata

Last response: in Storage
August 31, 2009 9:33:23 AM

Hi, I'd love to be enlightened about performance.

What's best between a 2.5" internal laptop hdd running at 7200rpm versus a 3.5" external SATA drive running via eSata?

Basically I want to buy a laptop for video editing and motion graphics, but not sure I should get one with the faster internal hdd or if it's not worth the extra cash.
Any tips on that much appreciated...
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
August 31, 2009 10:23:02 AM

While most laptop hard drives are slower than their desktop counterparts, using a eSata boot drive is not a good idea.
Doing so will not only require you to lug around another piece of hardware, you will also be limited to working tethered to the wall (an eSata enclosure requires an external power source).

If you really need a fast laptop, replace the stock hard drive with a non-JMicron SSD or Raptor (if it will fit, the 2.5" raptors are quite thick).
A non-JMicron SSD, while expensive, would be your best option and, if you can afford it, well worth the extra cash.
August 31, 2009 12:56:14 PM

Interesting, the Raptor seems fast and is not too pricey. SSD is over budget...

But I don't really care about mobility, it's going to be a workstation that won't travel much. So my first concern is performance, basically what's the best solution to edit videos and do some 3D on a PC laptop using Premiere and After Effects. For around 1000 euros or pounds. And knock out some songs with my guitar :) 
Related resources
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
August 31, 2009 1:14:43 PM

As the 2.5" Raptor is the fastest conventional hard drive for both laptops and desktops it would be your best non SSD option.
Do not give up on SSD's right out of the gate, though.
I am not sure about the prices in your area but you can probably locate a 60-120Gb Intel X25-M or OCZ Vertex SSD for about the same price as a 300Gb 2.5" Raptor.
If you do not need a massive internal drive, or you plan on using external storage, a SSD will defiantly outperform the Raptor and, as it will not be as thick, there is a better chance it will fit in your laptop.
a b G Storage
August 31, 2009 5:18:17 PM

The 2.5" Velociraptor will NOT run in a laptop. It may be a 2.5" drive, but it requires a 12V power feed. Notebook drives are designed to run off a 5V and 3.3V only, without the 12V, so notebooks do not supply drives with a 12V (the pins are the same as on desktop drives, but the 12V pins just aren't connected).
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
August 31, 2009 9:17:02 PM

:ouch:  :o  :whistle: 

I had not heard about that before now.
Yup, looks like the Raptor is taller, has offset power/sata plugs and requires 12v power.
Defiantly will not work in a laptop.
Sorry about that...
!