i want 4850, but.........

wrazor

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2007
:fou: The pricing in India is just unbeleivable :heink: while i know, components will be 20-25% costly than US market, the differences between ati and nvidia products is unreal :sweat:
9600GT is 210$ in my country, and 3870 is 350$ :pfff: This is conversion of Indian currency to US$. Anybody knows reasons for this?? In India GPUs are much more costly than cpus and mobos. cpus and mobos are mostly 5% in match with US prices. But GPUs are much more costly and ati cards are :??: What the hell. What can i do?? Sorry for the long post, but anybody else has faced similar problem elsewhere?? What have they done?? Am i being forced with nVidia :cry: ???

jasonmasi

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
im from a third world country called philippines :hello: where prices are just as ridiculous

9600 gt < 8800 gt < 3850 < 3870

so we always buy nvidia cards :bounce: (well, most of the time)

dvijaydev46

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2008
I think there are no proper distribution channels for the products here in India. I don't understand why but the etailers here charge insane prices for pc components while it is the opposite in the West. Recently I bought an XFX 8600gt, a basic model for almost $100 which is ridiculous. I went to a retail shop in my city to buy the cheapest Cooler Master PSU last week. But I didn't want to be fooled again so I just returned home with a cheaper one because the CM PSU was almost $85.

wardancerx4

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
it cant be as anoying as calling tech suport and getting some guy from india instead of an american with an american accent,. we suffer from bad service u suffer from expsensive american branded gpu.

maybe they should move tech suport jobs back to america :) id be happer talking to someone i can understand

Im going to use some probably unfounded or downright wrong assumptions please correct me and i mean no insult.
The assumption im going to make is that in out of the way places and third world countries the difference between the haves and the have nots is quite noticeable ? So if this is true then the greedy gits who supply things that are considered luxury items are putting a hefty premium on top with a view that the rich can afford it. This would leave people who are in the middle just that stuck in the middle. Im also going to guess that if they did lower the prices a bit that the mass market isnt going to be there so the price is high because they would rather get more from the rich who they know will buy and can afford rather than sell a relative few extra units at a lower price. So using numbers to sell at 300 £/$ etc 2000 units would return 60.000, but to drop it to 250 they would need to shift another 400 to get the same return.
Mactronix

wardancerx4

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
either way u look at it it costs more. if american companys are using indian firms to do american jobs ( the job are there becuase they work for less) well then dont complaine when u cant afford a graphic card. u work cheaper take our jobs, do worse service and speak in some accent that no american can understand and get paid less . get over it. your simply getting paid less thats why the jobs are in your country, its called save up. im sure your working so SAVE and get tha ati :)

romulus47plus1

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2008
In Malaysia, the mainstream and those cheap cards (9600GT, 8800GT, 3870 and all below that level) sells very cheaply, for there's a great market here.
Those cards of higher level than that often sell more expensive than first world countries for market is small(even the 8800GTS512 sells for $300 here)

radnor

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
I'm in Spain atm, but dont feel too bad.

A 3870 costs here 248.48 USD in the cheapest shop.
A 9600GT cost here 271.85 USD in the cheapest shop.

I have considered buying them in the states, the real problem is the warranty. Sometimes i see reviews in THG or Anand and i cry like a little girl because of the prices in the US. Of course you guys upgrade alot !!! With those prices !! I Would aswell !!

wrazor

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2007
I am complaining of getting gpus costly(ok i do not like that, but still i can live with that). Problem is, why are ati cards so costly than nvidias?? When they are not so costly in the US??

At a guess it may be down to distribution. If Nvidia ship stuff your way already and ATI dont then i could see it costing more as they would then be "special orders". There is no reason specifically why they are dearer. ATI and the board partners are almost certainly not charging the retailers extra, unless as i said its a shipping thing.
Mactronix

radnor

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008

Its a silly question, but ill reply anyway. We can shop, but newegg,tiger direct, best buy and others, just dont SHIP to our destinations. We have to bow, to the normal shops, you know the few little ones, for our hardware.

SirCrono

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
I'll send you the money to buy that card, here in Chile (South America) the 9600GT retails for US$ 272 and the 3870 goes for about the same, I paid US$ 400 for my 8800 GT.

So, as you see, there's always someone in a worse position than you are, ç'est la vie.

FWIW, I was very pleasantly surprised last week to get EXCELLENT tech support from "Carmina," who spoke with an obvious Indian accent. She was the supervisor of a 1st-line drone who does give Indian tech support a bad name, but you cannot generalize to all of them just because they don't speak the butchered version of the Queen's English that we Americans seem to prefer.
On a conference call, she went step by step through a detailed router configuration for someone I was assisting with a VPN issue.

rawsteel

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
In Europe the situation is similar.
All prices in $ are converted directly to EUR :(.

Thats ridiculous. Why are we so ****?

Dont want to even mention UK usually prices there are converted from $ to GBP 1to1

here a 3870 costs around $250 (while in US you can find for $130)

rawsteel

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
AMAZON.com does NOT ship to every place in the world for most of their products. Only small number of products like books and some other stuff ships to everywhere.

Also shipping from other side of the world is not very practical because what happens if your card is not working or have a prob?

Dont even mentioning the time it takes for a shipment to get from USA to Bulgaria - around 2 months

jasonmasi

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008

:hello:
well, thanks to american companies, im earning almost $30,000 a year.. and im just 23.. and by third world standards, that's huge! HUGE!

radnor

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
RADNOR: AMAZON.com ships to every place in the world as they say. For instance shipping from U.s To europe is about 56$.

The following items can be shipped to almost all destinations outside the U.S.:

* books*
* DVDs
* music
* VHS videos

Additionally, some software, tools, video games, jewelry, sporting goods, shoes, consumer electronics and kitchen items can be shipped to the following countries:

Australia, Austria, Canada, Chile, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Great Britain, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Taiwan, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, United Arab Emirates.

Limitations

For products shipped internationally, please note that any manufacturer warranty may not be valid; manufacturer service options may not be available; product manuals, instructions and safety warnings may not be in destination country languages; the products (and accompanying materials) may not be designed in accordance with destination country standards, specifications, and labeling requirements; and the products may not conform to destination country voltage and other electrical standards (requiring use of an adapter or converter if appropriate). You are responsible for assuring that the product can be lawfully imported to the destination country. When ordering from Amazon.com, the recipient is the importer of record and must comply with all laws and regulations of the destination country.

And i browsed AGAIN their shipped items. No, i don't wanna buy MONSTER cables or other ...gadgets. For that i go www.dealextreme.com. Their cheaper and no shipping costs. I could try ebay.com but official resellers just don't ship overseas.
Thanks for suggesting, and if anybody find a nice retailer that ships to Europe, or that has nice prices in Europe, please tell.

stefared

Distinguished
May 14, 2008
In Europe there is one shop (I dont' know in wath country) that sell the new ati hd4850 for 156 euros, I think that in USA the price won't go over 220$. It seems that the hd4850 beats the 8800gt, and probably also the 8800gts. The commercial strategy of amd/ati is to get down prices for make his products more competitive.
Pheraps the change euro/dollar it isn't correct, in fact i USA products cost less than in Europe. How much is the percentage of taxes (I know that in Britain is called VAT, but i don't know in USA)) that you have to pay when you buy a products in USA (in Italy is 20%)?
p.s.
I'm learning english, excuse me for the mistakes. I hope you will understand the text.

Is being converted directly and 1to1 not the same thing ?
your still better off than us anyway given the exchange rate. $ 10 = 6.49 Euro's and 5.14 Pounds so we should get them cheaper than you anyway, that is following your logic. Unfortunatly life isnt that simple and there are taxes to take into account.
Mactronix

marvelous211

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006

For that price screw warranty! If it breaks you can buy another one.