Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard bundle or manual overclock?????

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Overclocking
  • Intel i7
Last response: in Overclocking
March 18, 2009 12:14:21 PM

Hi folks,
I'm going to be buying an i7 system in a few weeks. However i'm also buying a GTX295 so am planning on overclocking the i7. Overclockers UK are selling an i7 motherboard bundle pre overclocked @ 3.6Ghz however it's only running 10066 RAM.
I was looking at buying the i7 920 (With cooler), Asus P6T Deluxe and 1600Mhz DDR3. However i'll have to manually over clock this. I have never done this before and don't want to damage any components. Should I go with the pre-overclocked bundle using only the 10066 RAM or have a go at the manual overclock myself with the 1600Mhz RAM?

More about : motherboard bundle manual overclock

a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
March 18, 2009 1:08:53 PM

That all depends on you. Do you want to learn how to OC? Do you want or have the time needed to learn how to OC? You would be better off learning how just in case anything happened with the pre-overclocked bundle and had to be reset.

As for the 1333 Mhz vs 1600 Mhz Ram, you probably won't notice that much difference in real world apps, so it comes back to your desire to learn how to OC.

Either way good luck.

March 18, 2009 2:57:39 PM

RJR said:
That all depends on you. Do you want to learn how to OC? Do you want or have the time needed to learn how to OC? You would be better off learning how just in case anything happened with the pre-overclocked bundle and had to be reset.

As for the 1333 Mhz vs 1600 Mhz Ram, you probably won't notice that much difference in real world apps, so it comes back to your desire to learn how to OC.

Either way good luck.

Many thanks for your response.

I'm looking primarily to use this machine for gaming. I.e Crysis, COD4, and TDU etc. I was just wondering if the extra RAM speed would be any use or if it wouldn't make that much difference. If it won't make that much difference i'll buy the bundle. If it's worth the extra RAM speed i'll learn to OC.
!