Uupgrade from Win98SE to Win XP, simple and safe?

I have Win 98SE on my computer but finding that more and more applications I
want to use ( e.g. Skype) insist on Win2000 or XP and so I am starting to
consider an upgrade. I know from previous upgrades from Win95 to Win 98 and
finally to Win98SE that it is not always plain sailing. What do I need to
get and what do I need to watch when doing an upgrade? Also, will I be able
to re-use my Office 2000 as I do not have money to buy the latest Office
software?
Thanks
Roman
7 answers Last reply
More about uupgrade win98se simple safe

    Hi,

    Link to the WinXP Upgrade Advisor:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/upgrading/advisor.asp

    This should help detect any known issues. Make sure you have plenty of ram
    (I would have 256MB as a minimum). Upgrade advice:
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm

    Office2000 works just fine in WinXP.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "r_mervart" <r_mervart@REMOVETHIShotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have Win 98SE on my computer but finding that more and more applications
    > want to use ( e.g. Skype) insist on Win2000 or XP and so I am starting to
    > consider an upgrade. I know from previous upgrades from Win95 to Win 98
    > and
    > finally to Win98SE that it is not always plain sailing. What do I need to
    > get and what do I need to watch when doing an upgrade? Also, will I be
    > able
    > to re-use my Office 2000 as I do not have money to buy the latest Office
    > software?
    > Thanks
    > Roman

    There are some upgrading tips here that will be helpful
    http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/upgrade_tips.htm

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "r_mervart" <r_mervart@REMOVETHIShotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have Win 98SE on my computer but finding that more and more applications
    > want to use ( e.g. Skype) insist on Win2000 or XP and so I am starting to
    > consider an upgrade. I know from previous upgrades from Win95 to Win 98
    > and
    > finally to Win98SE that it is not always plain sailing. What do I need to
    > get and what do I need to watch when doing an upgrade? Also, will I be
    > able
    > to re-use my Office 2000 as I do not have money to buy the latest Office
    > software?
    > Thanks
    > Roman

    "r_mervart" <r_mervart@REMOVETHIShotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I have Win 98SE on my computer but finding that more and more applications
    > want to use ( e.g. Skype) insist on Win2000 or XP and so I am starting to
    > consider an upgrade. I know from previous upgrades from Win95 to Win 98
    and
    > finally to Win98SE that it is not always plain sailing. What do I need to
    > get and what do I need to watch when doing an upgrade? Also, will I be
    able
    > to re-use my Office 2000 as I do not have money to buy the latest Office
    > software?
    > Thanks
    > Roman

    If your system came with Windows 98 SE, it's possible that it is
    underpowered for XP, so you may want to consider simply upgrading the entire
    machine or adding RAM. If your system can't take more than 384 meg RAM,
    definitely you should consider upgrading the system.

    Definitely, though, run the Upgrade Advisor.

    HTH
    -pk

    r_mervart wrote:
    > I have Win 98SE on my computer but finding that more and more applications I
    > want to use ( e.g. Skype) insist on Win2000 or XP and so I am starting to
    > consider an upgrade. I know from previous upgrades from Win95 to Win 98 and
    > finally to Win98SE that it is not always plain sailing. What do I need to
    > get and what do I need to watch when doing an upgrade?

    WinXP is designed to install and upgrade the existing operating
    system while simultaneously preserving your applications and data, and
    translating as many personalized settings as possible. The process is
    designed to be, and normally is, quite painless. That said, things
    can go wrong, in a small number of cases. If your data is at all
    important to you, back it up before proceeding.

    Have you made sure that your PC's hardware components are capable
    of supporting WinXP? This information will be found at the PC's
    manufacturer's web site, and on Microsoft's Windows Catalog:
    (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx) Additionally, run
    Microsoft WinXP Upgrade Advisor to see if you have any incompatible
    hardware components or applications.

    You should, before proceeding, take a few minutes to ensure that
    there are WinXP device drivers available for all of the machine's
    components. There may not be, if the PC was specifically designed for
    Win98/Me. Also bear in mind that PCs designed for, sold and run fine
    with Win9x/Me very often do not meet WinXP's much more stringent
    hardware quality requirements. This is particularly true of many
    models in Compaq's consumer-class Presario product line or HP's
    consumer-class Pavilion product line. WinXP, like WinNT and Win2K
    before it, is quite sensitive to borderline defective or substandard
    hardware (particularly motherboards, RAM and hard drives) that will
    still support Win9x.

    HOW TO Prepare to Upgrade Win98 or WinMe
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q316639

    Upgrading to Windows XP
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm

    > Also, will I be able
    > to re-use my Office 2000 as I do not have money to buy the latest Office
    > software?

    Sure. You shouldn't have any problems running Office2K on WinXP.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    > Hi,
    >
    > Link to the WinXP Upgrade Advisor:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/upgrading/advisor.asp
    >
    > This should help detect any known issues. Make sure you have plenty of ram
    > (I would have 256MB as a minimum). Upgrade advice:
    > http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm
    >
    > Office2000 works just fine in WinXP.

    In the first reference given there is a Note which says: This version
    of Upgrade Advisor tests for ability to upgrade to Windows XP Professional
    only. Is this the version of XP I should upgrade to?
    Roman

    Hi,

    You can upgrade to either Pro or Home - your choice. The advisor checks for
    known compatibility problems that could occur with either.

    --

    > r_mervart wrote:
    > > I have Win 98SE on my computer but finding that more and more
    applications I
    > > want to use ( e.g. Skype) insist on Win2000 or XP and so I am starting
    > > consider an upgrade.

    > You should, before proceeding, take a few minutes to ensure that
    > there are WinXP device drivers available for all of the machine's
    > components. There may not be, if the PC was specifically designed for
    > Win98/Me. Also bear in mind that PCs designed for, sold and run fine
    > with Win9x/Me very often do not meet WinXP's much more stringent
    > hardware quality requirements. This is particularly true of many
    > models in Compaq's consumer-class Presario product line or HP's
    > consumer-class Pavilion product line. WinXP, like WinNT and Win2K
    > before it, is quite sensitive to borderline defective or substandard
    > hardware (particularly motherboards, RAM and hard drives) that will
    > still support Win9x.

    Motherboard was upgraded a couple of years or so ago to AMD Athlon based
    GA-7VRX/GA-7VRXP which apparently can take up to 3.0 GB DDR RAM. I had
    Win98SE from the previous configuration installed on it . I have two hard
    drives, CD ROM writer and ZIP drive and vaguely remember having a bus
    conflict with ZIP drive which had to be resolved by downloading some patch
    so I am a little uneasy about the upgrade. Perhaps I should by a new laptop
    and use this un-upgraded PC just as the Internet gateway -:)
    Roman

Microsoft Windows XP