Sign in with
Your question

Build Help - Motherboard specific

Last response: in Systems
May 23, 2008 11:38:03 PM

I've been a toms hardware fan for sometime, as I was recomended by long time friend years ago.
It's come time for me to move up in the PC world, currently running an Asus A8N-Sli / Athlon 64 3200+(939) / 2gb Corsair pc3200 / 2- eVGA GeForce 6800 GS sli / single Maxtor 300gb. Case is a antec sonata 300? The one with the filter and the dumb 450w power supply that has the dumb auto fan thing.

Please look this over and give me feedback! Been away from the market for a while so I'm not sure what motherboard/cpu combo I should look at. I'm not lookin to spend a million bucks on a board, but something that is compatible with SLI and my new RAM =]

case:COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

psu:CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply - Retail

ram: OCZ SLI-Ready Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2N800SR4GK - Retail

cpufan (if they will fit, havent measured):Ultra / ChillTec / Socket 939/775/AM2 / Thermal Electric CPU Cooler
(just noticed this wasnt availible on tigerdirect anymore, and last i knew newegg doesnt carry it)
newegg has VIGOR GAMING CLT-M2A 92mm Thermal Electric CPU Cooler - Retail

leaning toward this chip because of wattage and price, plan to OC
if someone can convince me to buy a intel processor and board i'll look that too.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Black Edition Processor Model ADO5000DSWOF - Retail

Basically, I'm looking at a new main system with Gaming in mind. Looking at AM2 or AM2+, not completely ruling out intel, although ive been a AMD since I switched to them with my 450mhz system. Currently I have power issues as the 450watt isnt enough for what I have (i have to even unplug my printer or other usb's in order to boot)
I already have the Case, PSU, and Ram. I'm stuck at picking the motherboard, as all the ones I have interest in have some reviews that somewhat bug me. (mainly ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe) I need something SLI as I plan to keep my current video cards for the time being. I'd also like to consider either 2 hard drives in a RAID, or 1 new hard drive. Havent decided.

Sorry for the scatter.. Was jotting down my thoughts and copying system info at same time =p Thanks in advance for your feedback, I will look at anyones advice!!
May 24, 2008 12:46:02 AM

Hey neighbor! I am up in Greensboro. :) 

Anyway, to address your first question- that is 99% a typo- AMD chipsets do NOT support SLI.

Onto your post:

I love AMD, and used AMD for years from my first non-mac build way back in '98, but right now the fact is Intel just runs all over AMD. I would strongly consider an Intel system.

Is this a budget build? If you are on the AMD side- go Tri/Quad core Phenom. They really are a good bang for the buck.

Like I said, Intel really smokes AMD right now. Look at the Q6600 or E8400. You can easily get the Q6600 to 3.2-3.6 (like I did- along with many others here) and have a really fast system.

For motherboard, look at P35 boards if you are on a budget, if you want top of line look at x38/x48.

Since you are looking for a gaming machine, retire your SLI setup. One 8800GT for around $200 will destory your SLI setup and use less power/produce less heat.

Change the RAM- don't pay extra for SLI-ready RAM. Look at regular DDR2-800 from OCZ, Corsair, or G.Skill.

For the PSU-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703005
PC Power and Cooling 610W. You don't need a 750W PSU since you are retiring your SLI. If you insist on using it get this one instead:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341011

Related resources
May 24, 2008 8:56:48 PM

Are you sure about AMD chipsets not supporting SLi? I've heard both ways about this, and some reviews on that motherboard says you can sli nvidia cards on it.

For the most part, Its a semi-budget board. I can't afford it either way, but I'm doing it. Would like to keep my motherboard/cpu combo round 300ish maybe little more if I get something bangin. I'm really hesitant about switching to Intel, as I have had no problems with AMDs other then something my own fault like forgetting the thermal compound. However I'm looking for the best for my money and something thats upgradable in the future.

I'm keeping my 2 video cards from my current system, which is why I need a SLi setup. Spending another $200 for a video card would mean I'd only be wanting to pay around 200 for the mobo and cpu.

I already have the ram, was only $70 for 4gb. Already have the PSU too.. And the case =]

Thanks for the response :) 
May 25, 2008 12:05:38 AM

Best for your money is Intel by a long shot.

AMD owns ATI, it would make very little sense to support SLI. SLI is supposed on AMD using nVidia chipsets. The motherboard you linked me used an AMD chipset.

Ok... if you say so on the SLI.
!