After installed vista have to use the power switch to turn the pc on

dinh22ca

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012
Hi all i ran into a really weird problem after installing windows vista from windows xp. I never had problem with turning the pc on when i was running xp but now on vista after i turned the pc off i can't turn it back on unless i hit the power switch off and back on then the front power button then it'll turn on. I've been researching online to fix this but i can't seem to find a solid answer, there's a lot of talk about how the power supply or the psu is no good but i don't think this is my situation like i mention on windows xp never had problem turning it on it's only after installed windows vista....I came close to finding the answer from a forum i read where this guy had to go into bio and changed his HDD delay but as for my mother board i can't seem to find this option anwhere in bio

my motherboard is Asus p5k

Don't know, but you could try the ASUS support forums.
http://support.asus.com/ServiceHome.aspx?SLanguage=en

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
XP doesn't use as much power as Vista and Win 7 as both those Oses draw more for visual themes. Perhaps you could state the Watts of your PSU?

I'm only offering a suggestion other than "I don't know, try elsewhere".

You may need to replace the PSU.

Could also be a coincidental failure on the motherboard. Back in the Socket A days Gigabyte had a run of motherboards with a faulty capacitor in the circuit tied to the power button. When that capacitor finally failed (and eventually they all did) the symptoms were exactly as described.

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
Do you have any usb devices attached like an external hdd? It should not be left connected prior to shut down ot at boot up.

Perhaps it might be something like an overloaded powerboard, best not to have a heater or fan on the same powerboard (running).

You installed Vista on XP but what else can you tell us about your rig? CPU? GPU? Ram? Motherboard brand?

If you are running two graphics cards, it could be that a 600 watt PSU is not enough. Without more details, it is difficult to guess correctly.

dinh22ca

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012
I dont have external hdd fan or heater connected to same powerbar

And I did a clean install of vista not on xp heres my hardware

windows vista home premium 64 bit service pack 2

intel core 2 duo e6850 3ghz

4gig of ram

ati radeon hd 5770

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/P5K/

"Dual-channel DDR2 1066/800/667 MHz"

What speed is your ram? Why? Perhaps Vista requires more speed than just the barebones of 667mhz ram.

"*The chipset officially supports the memory frequency up to DDR2 800MHz. Tuned by ASUS Super Memspeed Technology, this motherboard natively supports up to DDR2 1066MHz "

TRENDING THREADS