getting a new system, please help.

G

Hi,

I'm sorry that this thread may not be in this section.
My friend is getting his new system in the coming days, so we narrowed it down to:

MSI platinum x48 ddr3 mobo
Q9450
2GB 1333mhz ddr3 memory (Corsair or kingmax)
2 x HD4870 in CF
WD Raptor 10k rpm 300GB
1100w PSU
and other parts.

Do you think that CF at the moment is a good move, or it would be better to get a 790i ultra mobo and an nvidia graphics card ?
Would this combination work without any problems ?
Would it be better to get 4GB of ddr3 1333mhz?
Would he get more value+performance?

Thanks in advance.

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
well considering 2 4850 Crossfired together can outperform the nvidia 280 in most tests i would say that 2 4870 crossfired together are the way to go. If you want some specs comparing 2 4780s cf vs a nvidia card im sure some has benchmarks that you could take a look at. Just google it ;)

Good luck

I think right now the CrossFire with 4850's or 4870's is likely to have a performance edge over SLI with nVidia chips right now.

Also, 4GB of memory is a very good idea if he/she wants a serious gaming rig (which it appears he/she does). If you're going to run Windows Vista at all, definitely get 4GB of RAM. You'll see a difference.

For current gaming titles, most folks say there isn't a huge need for more than DDR2. But if you've got the cash, and want the bleeding edge, then you can go for DDR3. :)