Best Palmtop for Bookreader?

Tags:
August 31, 2004 3:29:06 AM

I'm getting a mite tired of reading ebooks off the computer, and am
looking for a palmtop suitable for use as a bookreader. This means good
screen resolution, long lasting battery power, a reasonable amount of
storage (I might consider as low as 8M, but would actually prefer more),
an easy way to connect to my PC (I'm pretty sure I can handle WiFi or
USB, not as sure about Bluetooth), and the ability to read HTML would be
nice, but it's not that hard to convert to Word or plain text on the main
computer before downloading to the unit. It should also fit in my
pocket, and not cost above $400 (lower would be MUCHLY preferred - and I
really don't need games and spreadsheets and things.)

Anybody got any suggestions?

--
Kay Shapero
Domain address munged - use earthlink dot net to the right of the at if

More about : palmtop bookreader

Anonymous
August 31, 2004 7:26:27 AM

Kay Shapero <kayshapero@see.my.sig.invalid> wrote in

> I'm getting a mite tired of reading ebooks off the computer, and am
> looking for a palmtop suitable for use as a bookreader. This means good
> screen resolution, long lasting battery power, a reasonable amount of
> storage (I might consider as low as 8M, but would actually prefer more),
> an easy way to connect to my PC (I'm pretty sure I can handle WiFi or
> USB, not as sure about Bluetooth), and the ability to read HTML would be
> nice, but it's not that hard to convert to Word or plain text on the main
> computer before downloading to the unit. It should also fit in my
> pocket, and not cost above $400 (lower would be MUCHLY preferred - and I
> really don't need games and spreadsheets and things.)
>
> Anybody got any suggestions?

Any of the high-resolution Palms will work. If that's mostly what you plan
to use it for, and never expect to connect any other peripherals, then the
Tungsten E would do nicely. It only has a slave USB port, and no universal
connector and thus no serial port, which is a major limitation to me, but
you may not need those. Most Palm models are well under $400 and will work
well as ebook readers. They won't read html directly, but Plucker will do
the conversion quickly and very well. I get all my ebooks in html format
if I can, and use Plucker to read them. eReader, formerly PalmReader, has
lots of ebooks in that format available, probably more than in html. But
if you want to convert your existing html ebooks, then Plucker will do it
easily.

--
Regards,

Stan
Anonymous
August 31, 2004 8:12:32 AM

In article <MPG.1b9d56b8cf2f46589896b5@news.west.earthlink.net>,
Kay Shapero <kayshapero@see.my.sig.invalid> wrote:

> I'm getting a mite tired of reading ebooks off the computer, and am
> looking for a palmtop suitable for use as a bookreader. ...............

And excellent idea. You can hold a PDA as close to your eyes as you
desire. Much more difficult with a laptop :-)

> ....................................................... This means good
> screen resolution, long lasting battery power, ......................

Just about any Palm will provide a suitable screen and the ability to
read ebooks. Longer battery life is more difficult. You might do
better with an older generation Palm, like the Palm 515. Or a Gray
Scale (Black&White) Palm as the color screens eat power.

If it wasn't for the fact that Sony is getting out of the PDA business,
I would strongly recommend the Sony CLIE TH55 (what I currently have).
It has an excellent battery life and I can read ebooks for hours and
hours without worrying about having to stick it in the charger.

> ............................................., a reasonable amount of
> storage (I might consider as low as 8M, but would actually prefer more),

8MB can be enough to hold 2 to 5 ebooks (depending on size) and the
utilities to read them. I used an 8MB Handspring Visor Edge for 3
years. I had to keep loading in new books as I finished reading a book.

A memory card will allow you to put tons of ebooks on your PDA. You can
get a 64MB or 128MB memory card for fairly cheap.

My current PDA has 32MB of internal memory and 128MB Memory Stick. The
Memory stick has about 30 ebooks on it.

> an easy way to connect to my PC (I'm pretty sure I can handle WiFi or
> USB, not as sure about Bluetooth), .....................................

USB is the normal way to sync your Palm with your PC (or Mac).
http://palmone.com provides the Palm Desktop software.

And if you get a memory card, you can use a USB flash card reader to
plug in your PC and then mount the memory card on your PC as an external
disk and just copy ebooks to/from the memory card using your PC normal
file copy facilities (drag and drop).

> ................................), and the ability to read HTML would be
> nice, but it's not that hard to convert to Word or plain text on the main
> computer before downloading to the unit. ........................

"Documents to Go" will read WORD files.

Text files can be converted to a format suitable for reading on a Palm,
such as a utility to create eReader (PalmReader).

"Adobe Reader for Palm OS" will convert PDF files on your PC and the
Adobe Reader, also provided, will read the converted files on your Palm.

Utilities such as Plucker, iSilio, and others will allow you to grab web
pages and read them off-line on your PDA, as well as convert HTML
formatted documents (I've done this with a few books available on-line
as HTML).

And I should point out that there are PDA ebook formats, which you can
find examples of as well as readers for those formats at places like
http://ereader.com and http://mobireader.com, as well as others.

One plug for http://baen.com/library for a collection of free Sci-Fi
ebooks. I am sure a lot of other people will toss in their favorite
ebook web site.

> ........................................ It should also fit in my
> pocket, and not cost above $400 (lower would be MUCHLY preferred - and I
> really don't need games and spreadsheets and things.)

Most of the Palm models will fit in your pocket (for a flexible
definition of "Your Pocket" :-)

And most Palms will fit into the $400 budget you have specified, even if
you decide to spend a bit of money on accessories and some commercial
software like "Documents to Go"

Good luck. I've been reading 2 to 4 ebooks a month for the past 3
years. I enjoy it very much. In fact, it is time to head off to bed and
do some reading.

Bye.

Bob Harris
Anonymous
September 1, 2004 2:05:32 AM

In article <harris-F8B6AD.00123031082004@cacnews.cac.cpqcorp.net>,
harris@zk3.dec.com says...

> One plug for http://baen.com/library for a collection of free Sci-Fi
> ebooks. I am sure a lot of other people will toss in their favorite
> ebook web site.

Yeppers; I got most of these books either from the Baen Free Library or
their Webscriptions service (though usually I just buy one book at a time
since they rarely have more than one a month that I actually want.) Talk
about instant gratification - see the book, buy the book (at less than
it'd cost me in dead tree edition; certainly in the case of the
hardbacks!), download the book and READ the book without having to leave
the computer. Though to be sure I do want to leave the computer which is
why we're having this conversation. :->

Thanks muchly - between the folks in here and the ones on csp.palm I've
got a lot of info and shouldn't have much trouble finding palmtop and
software.

--
!