Sign in with
Your question

Disable CMD to create account user

Last response: in Windows Vista
November 25, 2012 6:08:03 PM

Hello,

I have a teenager who's figured out how to create a user account with "Safe Mode" administrator and CMD prompt
Is there a way I can disable him from creating an account through safe mode administrator or CMD prompt?

or is there a way I can disable all accounts even "safe mode" from having internet access?
a b 8 Security
November 25, 2012 11:35:09 PM

Hi :) 

He MUST know the ADMINISTRATOR password...otherwise he wouldn't get into SAFE mode ADMIN account...

Change the Admin account password then he will ONLY be able to get into HIS account in safe mode... which I assume is a limited account..he wont be able to do anything then...

All the best Brett :) 
a b 8 Security
November 26, 2012 12:09:44 AM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

He MUST know the ADMINISTRATOR password...otherwise he wouldn't get into SAFE mode ADMIN account...

Not necessarily. There are plenty of tools out there that can be used to change a password or enable/disable an account without ever booting the target OS (The password tools in UBCD4WIN for one). Whole disk encryption would stop the use of such external tools, and use of a strong password on 'administrator' would (or should) stop unauthorized access. Wouldn't hurt to rename 'administrator' to something else as an extra layer of security.

Related resources
November 26, 2012 12:15:10 AM

Will I was messing around my bootsetup in Bios I was able to setup my computer to ask for a password before the computer can even start running. Even if I tried to run in safemode you need to enter the password first. About the only thing I've liked about a Dell Bios.
a b 8 Security
November 26, 2012 1:43:42 AM

theguilbeaus said:
Will I was messing around my bootsetup in Bios I was able to setup my computer to ask for a password before the computer can even start running. Even if I tried to run in safemode you need to enter the password first. About the only thing I've liked about a Dell Bios.

Trivial to defeat. You're much better off securing the OS.
!