Sign in with
Your question

Voltage Increase Setting Absent???

Last response: in Overclocking
March 20, 2009 4:47:41 AM

After hours of searching with absolutely no success, I am forced to seek help here.

My motherboard is a Biostar A770 A2+, and according to the website's BIOS manual (as seen here) and seemingly everyone else that owns this board, there are these options under the CPU features:

--- CPU FEATURES ---

Virtualization: Enabled, Disabled
AMD K8 Cool&Quiet Control: Enabled, Disabled
NPT Fid Control: (x5 - 1000mhz, x6 - 1200mhz, ... , x10 - 2000mhz, x11 - 2200mhz)
NPT Vid Control: Auto, 1.4v, 1.375v, 1.350v, ..., 0.5500v

But this is what mine shows:

Virtualization: Enabled, Disabled
AMD K8 Cool&Quiet Control: Enabled, Disabled
AMD CPU Stepping: 0,1

I really want that NPT Vid Control that every other owner of this mobo is able to access. I am dumbfounded as I have updated the bios to the latest version (7/11/08) and am in serious need to up the voltage to 1.35. I mean, surely I must be missing something somewhere. I am able to run my CPU stable (7750 X2 BE) from 2.7 to 3.1, but when I up it to 3.2, which makes crysis run perfect, it crashes crysis after about 5 minutes. I am sure that a small voltage increase (currently at 1.31) would do the trick, but for some reason I can not get the option to do so! WHAT IS GOING ON? Please, I need some help on this, I have no idea where to turn. I came across one other person using Google that had this problem, but his thread died before anyone offered up a solution. I am very desperate.

EDIT: The .exe is from the biostar website and all it does is put 2 .pdf's in your documents folder. The 2nd one is the bios manual. Here's the mobo's page
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
March 20, 2009 12:44:20 PM

Stupid Biostar logic, .exe file to download a motherboard manual.
Anyhow, have you turned the voltage and CPU detect options from AUTO to Manual? When on AUTO, most boards hide all the user definable settings.
March 20, 2009 1:20:13 PM

Yeah the .exe is pretty useless.

I did not know of such settings. Where is it located? I have of course disabled cool n' quiet, but that's it.
Related resources
March 22, 2009 2:31:44 AM

.exe is useless... or at least it was when I had a Biostar motherboard. If you want the setting you desire, flash the BIOS.
March 31, 2009 10:25:35 PM

Here You Go

Ive recently taken over the site biosmods.com which of course is completely about bios modding. The site i s still under construction so i will post my help here

i took a look at the latest bios for your motherboard and have unlocked the options you specified , plus anything else i could find. Flash this and there are a lot more options available to you including pci-e overclocking and the cpu voltage options

Good Luck

April 4, 2009 8:57:07 AM

1234s282 said:
Here You Go

Ive recently taken over the site biosmods.com which of course is completely about bios modding. The site i s still under construction so i will post my help here

i took a look at the latest bios for your motherboard and have unlocked the options you specified , plus anything else i could find. Flash this and there are a lot more options available to you including pci-e overclocking and the cpu voltage options

Good Luck

Wow, really? Is this for real?

EDIT: It seems that it was deleted. If this was for real could I get another upload? Please? Im so confused as to why there is no option for cpu vcore, and I reeeaaally want to see how high I can take this baby.

And obviously I did flash my bios via floppy with the latest bios update on the page. That's why I am confused as to why the setting is missing.
April 7, 2009 12:16:40 PM

Sory mate , all my files got deleted and my computer broke. i nly got a new one today

il upload it again for you tomorrow

kind regards

1234s282

and yes , this is completely for real lol. The oem manufacturers (HP , dell , acer) hide the options from you so they dont have to mess around answering tech support questions from people who have messed with their bioses
April 13, 2009 3:21:56 AM

Dude... seriously? Ok, i flashed it, and booted into the mobo settings. I looked around for 10 minutes and there was absolutely NO settings for CPU vcore, at all. I made absolutely sure. And my CPU multiplier was way under from its default. So i changed it back and saved and exited. Upon reboot all I got was a black screen.

EDIT: Ok, i got it working again, I removed the cmos jumper to the last pins and then back to the first two and it booted.

Now, I see a cpu vid control option, but there it asks me to input a number ranging from 0000 to 0000.... how exactly does that work?

And also I am scared to increase the multiplier from where its at now (it defaults to 1600mhz when default is usually 2700 which is 13.5) all I know is that the problem occurred when i switched the multi from its underclocked default to 15.5 which is what I had it under the other bios. What's the point of this bios if I can't get the comp to boot when the multiplier is raised? Any input from you would be nice. As for now I am going to go back to biostar bios.
April 25, 2009 8:50:50 AM

Everythings working fine except i need a pointer towards the voltage increase settings.

Thanks
April 25, 2009 12:36:20 PM

Hey Mate

Heres a refined version of my mod which is better thn the other one

Look Under The NPT Vid Control Option In Advanced Features>>>CPU Feature to control the voltage

The cpu speed default thing you mention can be controlled using the CPU Fid option located under Frequency/Voltage Control

please Sign up at my forum www.biosmods.com if you have any other issues

Kindest Regards

1234s282

April 26, 2009 2:48:36 PM

Ok dude... this is starting to get ridiculous.

You're bios flash wont boot windows xp now. It doesnt matter if I boot from harddrive or xp cd, if I try to repair my install thru the recovery console, it asks for an admin password. So i tried the other way, by hitting enter and then asking it to repair my xp install, and after it copies the files and reboots to finish the repair, it freezes on the windows screen, even though it's booting from the CD.
!