Dell Plasma TV 4200HD any good?

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
August 27, 2005 7:49:43 PM

I am looking to upgrade to HDTV and I am attracted to the Dell Plasma 42"
HDTV. How is its performance?
Is it reliable? I probably would go with Dell's 4 year warranty plan since
the technology is fairly new. I also
am looking at a Sony 34" CRT model as it gets high reviews for picture
quality, though heavy and bulky.
Not sure how a Dell Plasma holds up to a Sony for picture quality. From
reading most reviews the Sony CRT may be a bit better picture wise, but the
Dell is still pretty good. Any comments welcolmed.
Anonymous
October 14, 2009 11:50:15 PM

The Dell 4200hd has an amazing high definition picture. I have had mine for almost 5 years and still get compliments from visitors who have LCD displays or other plasma tvs. The problem I have run into is Dell itself.
Finding parts or useful technical help is like pulling teeth. I live in the greater Los Angeles and, to date, have not found a single authorized repair facility in Southern California.
If I had it to do all over again, knowing what I know now, I would have placed more importance on service after the sale.

May 7, 2011 10:27:50 PM

I have the 4200HD, and it HAD an amazing picture. The problem is as the above poster has put the support. Dell has only one authorized service center and it's in the breadbasket. The shipping of this brick, plus the charge they have for just diagnostics is more expensive than most other plasmas on the market.

I have had to end up fixing my TV myself. My TV blinked out about a year ago, and I have pulled it apart myself to do the repairs with help from the Net. From the research I have done, Samsung sold much of the internals to Dell along with phillips, however they did not put good heat sinks on various processors, so they burn out (While the Samsung branded components have much better heat sinks). The Power supply also has issues and is a common failure on this TV.

Fortunately, these TVs are breaking fast enough that the parts are plentiful on E-bay, and with 2ndary suppliers, so if the display itself is good, and you have decent tinkering skills, you can throw parts at it and hope they stick for cheaper than replacing.

My advice... for those without electronics experience...Stay away
May 11, 2011 1:38:56 PM

If you are thinking of going plasma imo the only way to go is Panasonic.
Excellent products, have type's with THX certification and have series with NeoPDP (lowered power consumption).
And overall one of the best plasma manufacturers around.

!