switch off laptop wireless antenna (windows xp pro)

Hi there

I use Windows XP to manage my wireless LAN connections (View available
wireless connections > Change advanced settings > Wireless networks > Use
Windows to configure my wireless network settings (checked)).

My wireless antenna is always on and I notice that I can get an extra 25
minutes out of my laptop battery if I disable the wireless antenna.

Is there an easy way to switch the antenna on/off, ie. without having to
disable it each time?

Best regards
Loane

That depends on the laptop. I had a Toshiba with a physical switch.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Loane Sharp wrote:
> I use Windows XP to manage my wireless LAN connections (View available
> wireless connections > Change advanced settings > Wireless networks > Use
> Windows to configure my wireless network settings (checked)).
>
> My wireless antenna is always on and I notice that I can get an extra 25
> minutes out of my laptop battery if I disable the wireless antenna.
>
> Is there an easy way to switch the antenna on/off, ie. without having to
> disable it each time?

What type of laptop? What type of wireless antenna? My Dell laptop
includes a small utility application that can toggle the wireless
antenna easily. I can also configure it to turn the antenna on/off
based by clicking a certain key sequence on the keyboard. You would
need to consult the manual that came with your laptop and/or wireless
card. If you post details on exactly what you have, someone here may be
familiar with the brand you own and can provide the info if you do not
have the manual.
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows

From the control panel Select network connections. Right click on your
wireless connection and choose create shortcut. Use the shortcut on your
desktop to Enable or disable the wireless by right clicking on it.

pcbutts1 wrote:
> From the control panel Select network connections. Right click on your
> wireless connection and choose create shortcut. Use the shortcut on your
> desktop to Enable or disable the wireless by right clicking on it.

Does that turn off power to the wireless adapter though, or just tell XP not to
use the connection...

Bill

"Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from address)" <wylie@earthNOSPAMlink.net>
wrote in message news:u8C3FycoFHA.3696@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> pcbutts1 wrote:
> > From the control panel Select network connections. Right click on your
> > wireless connection and choose create shortcut. Use the shortcut on your
> > desktop to Enable or disable the wireless by right clicking on it.
> >

> Does that turn off power to the wireless adapter though, or just tell XP
not to
> use the connection...
>
> Bill

It disables the adapter, which should prevent it from drawing excessive
power. It'll be pretty quick for you to test how much difference it maks
to the battery life.

HTH
-pk

It disables it, prevents it from seeking a signal from access points.