Please Help: my build won't post

andersonj21

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2007
Ok, I assembled the hardware, turned on, and everything seems fine: all the fans come on and stay on (case fans, psu fan, cpu fan, gpu fan) so I know everything's getting power. However, I'm not getting anything on my monitor. It just says "No signal detected". Here's my hardware:

MOBO: GA-p35-ds3l Gigabyte

CPU: E8400 w/ stock fan

GPU: EVGA 8800gts 512mb

CASE: Antec 900

Memory: Gskill 2x1gb 800mHz

PSU: Corsair VX 550Watt

HD: Seagate 7200 500gig

My guess is that it's' something with the gpu. Right now I have it connected through a DVI to VGA adapter (don't have a DVI cable yet) to a 22" LG monitor (brand new out of the box).

Please help me, I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this.

If you have a processor that is supported by an earlier BIOS, install it, get the system up and running with Windows OS and update BIOS. I am not that familiar with Gigabyte, but instructions for updating BIOS are in your MB manual.

andersonj21

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2007
I don't have another processor available, and the instructions from the manual all assume that the computer will post. But NOTHING shows up on my screen when I power up.

I'm kind of surprised that this is happening, b/c this hardware configuration seems to be very popular. Just wondering how everyone else is getting around this.

Is there any way to update the mobo bios without another processor?

OP, Raodrunner is saying there is a 4pin 12v power lead from the power supply that needs to be plugged into then 4/8 pin header on your MB to supply power to the CPU. he may very well be right. Plug it in.

andersonj21

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2007
my psu has a 24 pin connector with 4 of them being detachable. I'll try that.
I didn't see a 4 pin connector so I didn't think I needed it.

This is a picture of your MB. The 4 pin 12v power header is located at the circled/arrowed spot on your MB. That header supplies power to the CPU and requires the 4 pin lead from your Power supply. It must be plugd in.

mbbbbfixyl1.jpg

andersonj21

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2007
You guys are seriously the best. Everythings fine now.

I need to learn to read directions...almost cost me my new machine.

Again...THANK-YOU THANK-YOU THANK-YOU THANK-YOU THANK-YOU THANK-YOU THANK-YOU THANK-YOU THANK-YOU THANK-YOU THANK-YOU THANK-YOU