High-End PC - No Budget - Please Critique

niiif

Distinguished
May 24, 2008
Hey I'm new to these forums and I came here seeking for some advice, having limited knowledge on PC building.

I just started building a new computer and my goal is to end up with a very high performance PC. As far as price goes, the sky is limit. A few parts I recently purchased:

Power: Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W
Video: 3 EVGA GeForce9800 GTX(G92)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450

The motherboard I had in mind is the 790i Ultra, but after hearing about Intel's dual LGA 771 Skulltrail, I may be persuaded to buy that instead; however, is it worth losing out on GDDR3?

After buying these parts, I realized I rushed my thinking and the salesman didn't know what he was talking about. The power supply I'm happy with (may even exchange it for an Ultra X3), but everything else I am questioning. When buying the three GTX SLI gfx cards, I bought them thinking 3 GX2s would be too cumbersome to try and configure. And as for the processor, this was the second highest performance CPU they had at MicroCenter, I know kinda pathetic, but the salesman convinced me it was adequate. I will probably exchange my CPU for a QX97xx, but I do not know which one... or should I just wait for Intel's Nehalem? The QX9750 will fit in an 790i, but should I buy a QX9775 x 2 for a Skulltrail and add a fourth SLI card?? (replacing my GTXs for GX2s?)

I would greatly appreciate anyone assessing this setup and giving me his or her take.

rgsaunders

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2007
With both nVidia and ATI releasing new high end cards in the next month or so, I would hold off on purchasing video unless you just have to do it now. ATI is releasing the new 48XX series in June, and nVidia is releasing their next generation 280/260 series cards shortly after. A simple google search will turn up preliminary information, however, the real performance won't be known until the NDAs expire, likely in early to mid June for the ATI card, probably shortly after that for the nVidia card.

doubletake33

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2006
if ya don't mind me asking, what is the intended purpose for this monster rig? if you're trying to create your very own "frankinstien" then skulltrail is it! otherwise the 790i mobo would be the way to go.

or a x48 mobo if you don't mind going crossfire with ATI GPUs! also have you selected a case yet?

niiif

Distinguished
May 24, 2008

I have heard about their new cards but is it true that the 260/280 series won't be much of an increase from its predecessor? In regards to performance value, someone told me that GTX was a better way to go and that it would be too cumbersome to put 3 to 4 GX2's on my board; although, I'm starting to believe it was a sales gimic and am questioning just how far GX2s surpass GTXs.

Haha, yah I want to create a 'freak' computer, like you said but I don't know much of the differences between a skulltrail and a790i besides the main factors. I do know that the 790i supports DDR3 or would that be overkill on my part?

I've always stuck with nVidia GPUs so I don't really know what ATI has to offer, but I will consider it.. maybe!

doubletake33

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2006
well for starters, DDR3 is not overkill in your case because of the proc you intend to get and those deep pockets (man i wish i had pockets like that)! now if you stay with nvidia GPUs then do your self a favor and only buy 1 card (9800gtx) from EVGA only. reason is that they have the step-up program (90 days) you can use and that newer GPUs from nvidia and ATI are coming out next month. so keep that in mind!

now if my memory servs me right you have to use the xeon procs with skulltrail (LGA 771 and not 775) and it uses DDR2 mem.

hmmmmmm............if i was to wager on this i would say it be best for you to go with the 790i board and stay with nvidia. reason: comfort level and DDR3! at this point AND you are still fairly new to building as it seems (no disrespect to you!) i would def go with 790i to start things out for ya!

besides, there isn't many people out there that can claim they have a 790i mobo setup.

but this is my personal opinion on the matter and you're the one with the riches! let us know what you have decided so we can go from there if you need anything further!

niiif

Distinguished
May 24, 2008
I will probably exchange my CPU for a QX9650, along with the 3 GPUs I bought, seeing that the next series comes out like June 18. hah yah I am fairly new to building but I understand. I think I'll end up with a 790i, QX9650 (possibly a QX9770 instead), and 3 GTX280s. As far as RAM goes, do any chips even support DDR3 2000 yet? I do want to overclock and I am an amateur when it comes to OCing too. :p

TRENDING THREADS