Problems with Q6600/DP35DP build - no boot

bunkaroo

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
Hello all,

I'm putting together a system for someone, and unfortunately the best board available locally at the time was the Intel DP35DP. We're not intending to try overclocking at the moment.

Other equipment:

Q6600 chip (2.4)
BFG 9800 GX2 1GB
Crucial 2 x 2GB DDR2 800 memory (1.8v - was told this matched the board)
2 SATA Hard drives (Seagate - may be 1.5 not 3.0)
Pioneer Blu-Ray Rom/CD/DVD Writer SATA drive
Sound Blaster PCI card
Netgear Wireless PCI card
Antec Neo Power 650W PSU
Antec 900 Case

I've done a few of my own builds before but not a quad core.

I've got the processor seated properly and currently have the stock heatsink installed, but we'll likely replace it. I'd like to make sure everything works first. I've verified the CPU fan is connected properly.

I've got the 24 pin and 2x2 connectors connected to the motherboard. The 9800 takes a 6-pin PCI-E plus an 8-pin connector. Both are connected. All optical and hard drive are also connected, and I've reseated all cards.

Basically, when I hit the power button, nothing happens. I've tried the Power SW both ways on the 2-pin connector on the motherboard. This is the second PSU we've tried so I don't think that's it, as when I flip the switch on the back of the PSU, the power led on the board near the memory does light green.

We kind of bought this gear on the fly Fry's vs. my normal picking everything out at NewEgg and making sure it's all compatible.

I'm hoping someone can point out something glaringly wrong with what I've listed above. I would think I would see some brief movement out of the fans when I flip the PSU switch like I do on my other homebuilt PC's, but that is not happening.

At this point all I can think to do is try another motherboard. I verified the 5 character code on the chip is compatible with the board we4 bought per the Intel site, but who knows if that's accurate.

Any help is much appreciated.

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Instead of using the power button, use a flat head screwdriver and touch the power leads (the 2 pins) together with it. See if the machine boots.

Do what Roadrunner said.

Also look for improperly installed standoffs that could be shorting the board out.

bunkaroo

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
Well unfortunately none of the above worked, although they are well appreciated and I'm glad I learned to try them.

I think we're going to trade up for a DFI board which I've used before and get some better memory as well and see what happens. We've tried multiple PSU's and multiple cases so I really think it's the mobo, and hopefully not the processor.