What are these? <-for Miracle

The little doo-hickey with flat plug on one end and the round device on the
other, is a motherboard speaker. It will do the beeps that motherboards
make for different error codes, etc. There will be some pins on the FPIO1
header (pins 13,15,17, and 19).

Quixote

smeghead

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2001

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 02:15:11 -0500, "Quixote" <quixote@writeme.com>
wrote:

>The little doo-hickey with flat plug on one end and the round device on the
>other, is a motherboard speaker. It will do the beeps that motherboards
>make for different error codes, etc. There will be some pins on the FPIO1
>header (pins 13,15,17, and 19).

When did they stop mounting them to the board?

--
--==<S m e g h e a d>==--

Quixote wrote:
> The little doo-hickey with flat plug on one end and the round device
> on the other, is a motherboard speaker. It will do the beeps that
> motherboards make for different error codes, etc. There will be some
> pins on the FPIO1 header (pins 13,15,17, and 19).
>
> Quixote

Um, a couple more cups of coffe and I'll be ready to
study this more closely............

Miracle Smith wrote:
> Quixote wrote:
>> The little doo-hickey with flat plug on one end and the round device
>> on the other, is a motherboard speaker. It will do the beeps that
>> motherboards make for different error codes, etc. There will be some
>> pins on the FPIO1 header (pins 13,15,17, and 19).
>>
>> Quixote
>

> Um, a couple more cups of coffe and I'll be ready to
> study this more closely............

Okay, what does this "FPIO1 header" look like? :eek:}

--
www.electronicfunzone.com

> Okay, what does this "FPIO1 header" look like? :eek:}
>
>> ^,,^< Miracle

Found it!! But it's a maze of colors! :(

Let me take a photo and get it up.......

And pray tell, is there an order in hooking up the rear
USB ports? I've got three plugs and three pin sets.......

--
www.electronicfunzone.com

"Smeghead" <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 02:15:11 -0500, "Quixote" <quixote@writeme.com>
> wrote:
>
>>The little doo-hickey with flat plug on one end and the round device on
>>the
>>other, is a motherboard speaker. It will do the beeps that motherboards
>>make for different error codes, etc. There will be some pins on the FPIO1
>>header (pins 13,15,17, and 19).
>
> When did they stop mounting them to the board?

Not sure, but my Abit board from a couple years back has one.

Quixote.

"Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in message
>> Okay, what does this "FPIO1 header" look like? :eek:}
>>
>>> ^,,^< Miracle
>

> Found it!! But it's a maze of colors! :(
>
> Let me take a photo and get it up.......
>
> And pray tell, is there an order in hooking up the rear
> USB ports? I've got three plugs and three pin sets.......

Look at the schematic in your manual. The FPIO1 port is at the lower right
hand corner. This is where all the little wires coming from the front of
the case hook to for power on button, suspend, hard drive activity light,
etc. Also you asked about another wire coming from the front of the case?
I could not see the photo well but is it a small encased in a flat brown
translucent plastic? I am thinking maybe it could be a temperature sensor
for the digital thermometer readout on front of the case. Still no clue
about the bracket, and the manufacturer's site does not show it in the parts
pic.

Quixote

"Quixote" <quixote@writeme.com> wrote in message

> "Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in message
>>> Okay, what does this "FPIO1 header" look like? :eek:}

>> Found it!! But it's a maze of colors! :(
>>
>> Let me take a photo and get it up.......
>>
>> And pray tell, is there an order in hooking up the rear
>> USB ports? I've got three plugs and three pin sets.......
>
> Look at the schematic in your manual. The FPIO1 port is at the lower
> right hand corner. This is where all the little wires coming from the
> front of the case hook to for power on button, suspend, hard drive
> activity light, etc. Also you asked about another wire coming from the
> front of the case? I could not see the photo well but is it a small
> encased in a flat brown translucent plastic? I am thinking maybe it could
> be a temperature sensor for the digital thermometer readout on front of
> the case. Still no clue about the bracket, and the manufacturer's site
> does not show it in the parts pic.

Went and looked at the new pics, and yes that flat brown wire is a
temperature sensor. Depending on the length of the wire you can place that
on or near whatever structure you want to monitor the temp of, such as the
heat sink on your vid card, or just for case temp, etc. And again, look at
the schematic of the FPIO1 in the manual. It will even show which pins are +
(positive) where it matters such as in the LEDs.

Quixote

"Quixote" <quixote@writeme.com> wrote in message

> "Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in message
>>> Okay, what does this "FPIO1 header" look like? :eek:}

>> Found it!! But it's a maze of colors! :(
>>
>> Let me take a photo and get it up.......
>>
>> And pray tell, is there an order in hooking up the rear
>> USB ports? I've got three plugs and three pin sets.......
>
> Look at the schematic in your manual. The FPIO1 port is at the lower
> right hand corner. This is where all the little wires coming from the
> front of the case hook to for power on button, suspend, hard drive
> activity light, etc. Also you asked about another wire coming from the
> front of the case? I could not see the photo well but is it a small
> encased in a flat brown translucent plastic? I am thinking maybe it could
> be a temperature sensor for the digital thermometer readout on front of
> the case. Still no clue about the bracket, and the manufacturer's site
> does not show it in the parts pic.

Okay, on the USB wires. The ones coming from the case are for the USB ports
on top of your case for easy access. There are already 4 on the back panel
off the motherboard, so I would not even worry about the extra slot USB port
addon unless you really have that many USB devices. Go to page 27 in the
manual and it will give you the pin outs so you know which way to plug them
in. It provides 2 different pinouts, 1 across the top row, and 1 across the
bottom row of each header, so that each one will take 2 ports. The jumpers
below them are just to enable or disable wake-up function on that particular
USB port. This manual is used for several motherboards in that series, so
always make sure you are looking at AN8 ULTRA specifics.

Quixote

> Look at the schematic in your manual. The FPIO1 port is at the lower
> right hand corner. This is where all the little wires coming from
> the front of the case hook to for power on button, suspend, hard
> drive activity light, etc. Also you asked about another wire coming
> from the front of the case? I could not see the photo well but is it
> a small encased in a flat brown translucent plastic? I am thinking
> maybe it could be a temperature sensor for the digital thermometer
> readout on front of the case. Still no clue about the bracket, and
> the manufacturer's site does not show it in the parts pic.
>
> Quixote

Hot damn! I *did* find it! More to come later, as all the wires
do not match those little pins......will also RTFM.......

> Went and looked at the new pics, and yes that flat brown wire is a
> temperature sensor. Depending on the length of the wire you can
> place that on or near whatever structure you want to monitor the temp
> of, such as the heat sink on your vid card, or just for case temp,
> etc. And again, look at the schematic of the FPIO1 in the manual. It
> will even show which pins are + (positive) where it matters such as
> in the LEDs.
> Quixote

Success! Studied the diagram, the pins, and the cables and
got all of those (front panel) plugged in.
I still have tons of wires I'm not sure about, but am studying
and will ask one wire at a time if I have to. :eek:}
This USB puzzle has me stumped- there are a ton of pins
marked for USB, and some of the wires match, but.......
And yes, In use a TON of USB devices, so I would like to
get them all hooked up.

And then there's the wires coming from the top fan......

WEEKEND BREAK!

> Okay, on the USB wires. The ones coming from the case are for the
> USB ports on top of your case for easy access. There are already 4
> on the back panel off the motherboard, so I would not even worry
> about the extra slot USB port addon unless you really have that many
> USB devices. Go to page 27 in the manual and it will give you the
> pin outs so you know which way to plug them in. It provides 2
> different pinouts, 1 across the top row, and 1 across the bottom row
> of each header, so that each one will take 2 ports. The jumpers
> below them are just to enable or disable wake-up function on that
> particular USB port. This manual is used for several motherboards in
> that series, so always make sure you are looking at AN8 ULTRA
> specifics.
> Quixote

Okay, my mission over the weekend is to study the manual
and figure out this USB puzzle.