How can I start my computer in MS-DOS mode? (In case my operation system is
Windows XP) And how can I back to XP?

First you have to acquire MS-DOS. Windows XP doesn't have it.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:76477EA8-8284-4585-94B1-B9497841EA3E@microsoft.com,
sheva <sheva@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

"sheva" <sheva@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How can I start my computer in MS-DOS mode? (In case my operation system
is
> Windows XP) And how can I back to XP?

Unless you first installed DOS and then XP, you don't. DOS is not
included.

You*can* start XP in Safe Mode - Command Prompt Only if you really want the
look of a command window, but there are few benefits from this. The type
of program that will not run under XP's GUI won't run in the command window
either, even in Safe Mode.

What is it you are actually trying to do?

If you wish to install DOS on your system, you must first install DOS and
then XP from a bare drive. You cannot use NTFS if you wish DOS to have any
access to the hard disk areas that XP looks at, since DOS knows nothing of
NTFS.

If you need to run a simple task (such as flashing a BIOS) you can just boot
from a DOS floppy. However, bear in mind that if your system is formatted
NTFS as many are now, you won't have any access to the hard disk.

HTH
-pk

Thanks for everyone.
I would have liked to run ms-dos to delete an unuseable file with norton
commander.
I have a file that i can not open or delete. I could delete these files with
the help of norton commander earlier (when i had win 98).

> Thanks for everyone.
> I would have liked to run ms-dos to delete an unuseable file with norton
> commander.
> I have a file that i can not open or delete. I could delete these files
with
> the help of norton commander earlier (when i had win 98).

Not if the disk is formatted NTFS, you couldn't.

Set up the system so that the Recovery Console can see more directories (if
needed for that file) and then boot from the CD and use the RC to delete the
file.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307654
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310497/

First, though, restart in Safe Mode - Command Prompt and locate the file,
and check its attributes. Some spyware/trojans/viruses will put a $ in the
filename, which makes it more difficult to delete. You may need to take a
few attempts at renaming it first.

What is the file?

-pk

sheva wrote:
> How can I start my computer in MS-DOS mode? (In case my operation system is
> Windows XP) And how can I back to XP?

There is no way to reboot a WinXP PC into Real Mode DOS unless
you've set up a dual-boot system. The WinNT family of 32-bit graphical
desktop operating systems, of which WinXP is the latest generation, has
never used, included, or "ridden upon" MS-DOS. The Recovery Console's
CLI (Command Line Interface) is the closest you can come to the old "DOS
mode." What, specifically, are you trying to accomplish?

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Gordon

sheva wrote:

> How can I start my computer in MS-DOS mode? (In case my operation system
> is Windows XP) And how can I back to XP?

You can't. Period. There IS no "MSDos" in XP.

--
Registered Linux User no 240308
Kubuntu 5.04 and Open Office 2.0

dl

Start/Programs/Accessories........Command Prompt
Or from bootup Safe Mode
If you mean a full system backup, Then eg Ghost, Acronis True Image

DL wrote:

> Start/Programs/Accessories........Command Prompt

That's NOT Dos - it's a Dos emulator. And the Op was asking if he could BOOT
into Dos as well.

--
Registered Linux User no 240308
Kubuntu 5.04 and Open Office 2.0
Was Windows XP SP2 and Office 2003
gbplinuxATgmailDOTcom

As there is not any MS-DOS in Windows XP, you cannot do this.

--
www.fermu.com

"sheva" <sheva@discussions.microsoft.com> escribió en el mensaje
> How can I start my computer in MS-DOS mode? (In case my operation
> system is
> Windows XP) And how can I back to XP?

To delete undeletable files use the excellent program by Cedrick Collomb
called Unlocker
http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/unlocker170.exe

"sheva" <sheva@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for everyone.
> I would have liked to run ms-dos to delete an unuseable file with norton
> commander.
> I have a file that i can not open or delete. I could delete these files
> with
> the help of norton commander earlier (when i had win 98).
>

> "Test User" wrote:
>
>> "sheva" <sheva@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > How can I start my computer in MS-DOS mode? (In case my operation
>> > system
>> is
>> > Windows XP) And how can I back to XP?
>>
>> Unless you first installed DOS and then XP, you don't. DOS is not
>> included.
>>
>> You*can* start XP in Safe Mode - Command Prompt Only if you really want
>> the
>> look of a command window, but there are few benefits from this. The
>> type
>> of program that will not run under XP's GUI won't run in the command
>> window
>> either, even in Safe Mode.
>>
>> What is it you are actually trying to do?
>>
>> If you wish to install DOS on your system, you must first install DOS and
>> then XP from a bare drive. You cannot use NTFS if you wish DOS to have
>> any
>> access to the hard disk areas that XP looks at, since DOS knows nothing
>> of
>> NTFS.
>>
>> If you need to run a simple task (such as flashing a BIOS) you can just
>> boot
>> from a DOS floppy. However, bear in mind that if your system is
>> formatted
>> NTFS as many are now, you won't have any access to the hard disk.
>>
>> HTH
>> -pk

XP doesn't have "DOS Mode".

"sheva" <sheva@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How can I start my computer in MS-DOS mode? (In case my operation system
> is
> Windows XP) And how can I back to XP?

Of course, there's the "command prompt" under Accessories, but it's not
really a DOS prompt.

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 16:19:07 -0700, Andrew Murray
<Noadmurray@SPAMiinet.net.au> wrote:

> XP doesn't have "DOS Mode".
>
> "sheva" <sheva@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> How can I start my computer in MS-DOS mode? (In case my operation system
>> is
>> Windows XP) And how can I back to XP?

--
Jeffrey Needle