Sign in with
Your question

Need Suggestions for Build

Last response: in Systems
May 25, 2008 1:55:06 AM

I want to build a new system that I won't need to upgrade for a while (2-4 years). This is my first build, i have almost decide on the parts, just need some suggestions/advice. I will be using it for anything from plenty of gaming to a home theater. My budget is anywhere from $1000 to $1400 This is what i'm going with:

CPU: Intel C2Q Q9450
MOBO: No clue here.....
RAM: 4GB? 2GB if too much?
PSU: I think Corsair 650W or 750W? But which one is good for what i need?
HDD: This 500GB Samsung looks perfect
CPU Cooler: I read that this Scythe is super quiet and cooling efficient. Anybody have any other suggestions?
Case: Either this Antec Nine Hundred or the Zalman GS1000 when it comes out.
GPU: I am completely stuck on this. I can't decide. Any suggestions?
DVD: 2 of these

Just adding, if anybody can tell me a quieter case or fan, i would really appreciate it, because I will be watching many movies on this. THANKS!!!!!!!

More about : suggestions build

May 25, 2008 6:19:01 AM

Why is it that every time I post a thread for help with this, IT NEVER GETS ANSWERED, not just here, BUT IN ANY FORUM in ANY other website?!?!?!??!?!??!?
May 25, 2008 7:00:35 AM

Patients, someone will be around to answer you.

First of all I would ask if you plan to attempt overclocking.

The Q9450 is a great chip and you can't really go wrong with it. You wrote that you don't want to upgrade for 2-4 years, does that include the video card?

If you want to upgrade the video card in a year or two I would suggest a motherboard with PCI-E 2.0 (X38, X48, 750i, 780i). That way you can be sure that your board isn't bottlenecking your card. If you don't want to upgrade anything in that time frame I would suggest a P35 board. Current video cards don't make use of the PCI-E 2.0 bandwidth so if you don't plan on upgrading your card then you don't need it.

For your RAM go with 4GB of DDR2 (2x2GB).

PSU go with the 650w, it wil be plenty

That HDD is cheap but I don't trust Samsung, I would go with a Seagate or WD.

That's a good cooler. Others you might want to look at are the Tuniq Tower, Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme and even the very inexpensive Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro is a good cooler.

The Antec is a good case. It's difficult to recommend a case because it is a very subjective decision. Only you know what features you want the case to have and what looks good to you.

At this time the best performance for the price is the 8800GTS 512 which is a great card for around $180.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/
Since you are looking for silence check out this site, they are all about quieting your PC and you might be able to find some suggestions there.

Related resources
May 25, 2008 7:05:54 AM

u cannot go wrong with a 8800gt. i would just go with an MSI 8800GTS 512MB though. You won't get a free game unless you move up to the 220-230 dollar range. I know u can get an 8800GT 512MB for 150 plus COH from Newegg. its from a great company too: XFX
if you dont have to sli, whats the reason really. crysis is the only game able to make ur pc to drop to its knees. if u dont play crysis alot, u dont need to sli, even without sli, u can play it on high with a good framerate especially with the 8800GTS or 8800GT, drivers will only help. just get a GA-P35-DS3L.
i hate corsair powersupplies, a TX750w was doa, i got it from frys and it came with a felt bag. the money for the dumb bag should have been used to do QA, they are expensive as well. if i were u id get an antec neo he 650w or a pc power and cooling 610w silencer. if u get a 8800gt ull need at least 1 intake fan, 1 outtake fan, not including ur psu. id get a 8800gts if u like quiet, sinces its dual slot fan is much better at cooling and is quieter for the same cooling performance. it moves hot air out of the case instead of putting it around ur case which the 8800gt does. u wont have to buy extra case fans then.
May 25, 2008 7:12:52 AM

i trust samsung, i use their phones, lcd monitors, lcd tvs, im typing on one. they're hard drives are good ones, but ive only used WD. but id recommend a 640gb WD6400AAKS, good performance, good price. i would recommend 2x2 gb ram or 4x1 if ur not overclocking, because it may be cheaper if u need to save cash. i dont see programs using 4.0gbs. photoshop is going to use gpgpu so dont worry about that. on vista sometimes i reach 1.9gb out of 2.0. ram is cheap anyways. get 4gbs. PCI express 2.0 is worth nothing right now. no cards are bottlenecked with PCI express 1.0, go read about it online, im too lazy to link for u. the ACF7 is a good one, it will be quiet, easy to install, and u can overclock very well with it. if ur going for quiet, an antec 900 is not for u. a p180 is better, its quieter and will have good cooling. the antec 900 has holes throughout the case for airflow. ull hear air being pulled through grates which is annoying if ur watching movies at a low volume.
May 25, 2008 8:43:45 AM

One of the happiest days of my life, I finally get a reply in a forum. Tom's Hardware is great.

ausch30:
I want to attempt overclocking, but only when I know how to do it 100% without overheating or damaging anything.
If I have to, I will upgrade the video card, especially if something cheaper and better comes out. I was actually thinking of 8800 GTS, but I wasn't sure of its capabilities.
Thanks for the link to the silentpcreview website. Really helpful. I found a lot of silent cases that would be great for me.
pcgamer12:
Thanks for the info on the antec case on its loud airflow. I think I'll be getting a different case.

Should I get a Corsair XMS2 4GB (2x2GB) or GSKILL? I have heard there are problems on voltage differences in the Corsair brand sticks, but it's rare.

For the mobo, I don't want SLI, but I want a mobo with two PCI-E x16 slots. But I have been looking around on newegg for mobos, and the ones with two x16 slots, one of them is x16 and the other is x4 "electricity"?? What does that mean, exactly? There is also PCI-E x1, which i also don't know about.

I don't want to get any nforce 700 series mobo right now because of the stupid video corruption bug it has in its drivers, especially since I am going to be watching a lot of videos.

And by the way, do you guys know anything about the Zalman GS1000 case that will be coming out soon? I hear it's an amazing case.
May 25, 2008 11:34:38 AM

mrk444 said:
Why is it that every time I post a thread for help with this, IT NEVER GETS ANSWERED, not just here, BUT IN ANY FORUM in ANY other website?!?!?!??!?!??!?

Aww you're so cute. <3
May 25, 2008 5:38:48 PM

.................ok? That doesn't really help at all.....
May 25, 2008 6:33:35 PM

If 550W is enough for me, then I will be saving some money! Thanks!
I did read about that Xigmatek cooler, but I hear it's really loud, and the reason I chose the Scythe one is because it's super quiet, and is still cooling efficient. I need my build to be quiet cuz i'll be watching a lot of movies.
May 25, 2008 9:09:49 PM

Can anyone tell me which is the better case: Antec P180 or P182?

Also, does anyone know of a good motherboard alternative for an ASUS P5E X38 that is under $200?
!