Gigabyte p45-ds3l questions

Foghorn

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
I just took delivery of my new system and wanted to ask for some advice...

CPU = intel 8400
Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4 2GB (2x XMS2 1GB)
Twin2X PC-6400 (800MHz) DDR2 RAM unbuferred 4-4-4-12
seagate 500 gig HD
Gigabyte 4850
550 watt true power psu
and the Gigabyte motherboard p45-ds3l
Windows xp o/s

I installed the disc with the motherboard package and it had a whole lot of programmes re bios updating

1) Q-Flash

2) @Bios

Both of these are bios updating services...

I presume the current bios is as per the one that comes with the disc or on the motherboard already...would that version be older and need to be updated ?

Current updates on Gigabyte have a couple of options...http://www.giga-byte.com/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Model.aspx?ProductID=2844

Which of the above 2 programmes would be safer for me to use and should I update the bios cause there's warnings about possible problems if you do updsate the bios...but then they offer them for a reason I presume to get better performance out of the board and fix glitches.

There's also a chipset driver update download available...http://www.giga-byte.com/Support/Motherboard/Driver_Model.aspx?ProductID=2844

Should I do that as well ?

Just hoping one the gurus on this site who's got this m/board can point me in the right direction...

I haven't overclocked anything or touched any settings yet...the pc's a day old but I want all the latest drivers and updates available...

Cheers

Mondoman

Splendid
Since the latest BIOS fixes problems, I'd certainly update my BIOS. Avoid using any Windows-based BIOS update programs, as they can crash and leave you with a dead BIOS. Use a floppy or USB stick BIOS flashing process, as recommended by the MB manufacturer.

After you've flashed the BIOS, rebooted, then cleared the CMOS, rebooted and re-setup your BIOS settings, you definitely need to update the various drivers to the latest versions.

Foghorn

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
Thx for that...

What's flashing actually mean ?

And I take it the usb stick is a little usb memory stick yiu just plub in and download stuff onto it ?

I don't have a floppy drive on this new pc...

Sorry but a bit of a noob here...

pcgamer12

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
I use @BIOS for my Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L. Never had a problem with flashing my BIOS. It auto updates itself and finds the latest BIOS from Gigabytes servers. I used it on Vista 32-bit too.

Mondoman

Splendid
The BIOS is stored in "flash" memory, which (unlike normal RAM) does not "forget" all its data when you turn off the power. Writing new/different data onto the flash RAM is called "flashing", so the process of overwriting the old BIOS data with the new BIOS data is called "reflashing".

Yes, a standard USB memory stick. Some manufacturers do not support this method for reflashing, so you may have to get a floppy drive. Normally, a USB floppy drive, that you can plug into any computer with a USB port, will work fine (and can be used for reflashing other systems as well).

Foghorn

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
I just had a read of both the programmes and the @Bios seems a whole lot easier to use and I'll try it that way I think...looks easy and straightforward...

royalcrown

Distinguished
Foghorn, your board has 2 bios and one will reflash the other drom a backup version if the flash is incomplete, this is according to your manual.

The chances of your power going down during the minute it takes to flash are remote anyhow. If you have a stable internet connection, it is plenty safe to do it using the windows utility.

As far as the updates go, you usually just use ONE, not 4, just the latest.

These guys are running around saying the sky is falling and making you worry unnecessarily. I wouldn't flash unless you really have problems, but it is safe enough to do it from windows nowadays.

royalcrown

Distinguished
They usually do, it's just that the web guys get tired of all that typing. All of them I have ever used have the whole thing in the latest version, so I doubt gigabyte would be the odd one that did not.

I have flashed from windows and it is cake.