SiDE

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
I didn't really care about the cables I use since I've been using the SATA cables that came with my Motherboard and retail drives. Now that I've started buying OEM drives, I need more cables. Does it matter what brand of SATA cables do you buy? Where can I get them for a good price, maybe bulk?

Am I right to say that cables classified under SATA are the SATA 1.5Gb/s cables and the ones under SATA II are SATA 3.0Gb/s cables?

SiDE

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
Brand might not matter but are you sure about any would work because I doubt it that they will create separate categories for each cable to not matter. Yes they might not have problems, but if you're trying to maximize performance? I'm still confuse if the cable categories corresponds to the speed.

Not at all. The exception to this is for long (>a few meters) cables, in which case some extra shielding really will help signal integrity and data rate. For short, internal cables though, there isn't any difference.

I'd bet the categories are more based on that particular manufacturer's convention for cable naming. A decent quality cable marked as "SATA", even a fairly long one, should be able to handle 3Gb without any difficulty.

As for good prices? It doesn't get much better than this.
This one's not bad either

Or, if you need a right angle connector, there's this

SiDE

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
I just saw in most site categorizing them as SATA, SATA II, or even SATA III. I was just trying to put one to one as it might relate to the speed the cable pass.

Is that the max length? In that case, I completely agree (I didn't know what the specified max length was for SATA).

wuzy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009

Firstly there's no such thing as "SATA II" or "SATA III", they do not exist. There is however "SATA 3Gbps" and "SATA 6Gbps".
SATA 1.5, 3.0 and 6.0Gbps all uses the same connector and cable.

SiDE

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
I understand what you're saying, but for the most part, like it or not, cables are categorize as that and HDD are categorize as SATA 1.5Gb/s, SATA 3.0Gb/s, and SATA 6.0Gb/s. I'm just trying to get some understandings.

Sigh.

"I understand what you're saying, ..."
No, you don't. If you did, you wouldn't keep trying to find differences where none exist.

"HDD are categorize as SATA 1.5Gb/s, SATA 3.0Gb/s, and SATA 6.0Gb/s. " Cables really are not, regardless of how they are labeled.

cjl is right: "Any SATA cable should work fine with any SATA device, and as long as they're fairly short, any of them should work at either speed without any problems at all."

At this point, you have three choices:
1. Stop worrying about it.
2. Match the advertised cable designation to the drive you have.
3. Always buy cables designated as "SATA II" (backwards compatibility).

wuzy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009

The governing group SATA-IO has made only one SATA cable specification. All SATA cables regardless of what they're branded as are made to that specification only and was made to be forward compatible with higher SATA speeds.
Things like right-angle, metal clip... etc. on the connector were made optional.