Sign in with
Your question

Transferring Data Files

Last response: in Storage
September 2, 2009 3:34:39 AM

OK, here's the skinny. I have a 6 year old PC that died. I have a Western Digital 80GB IDE drive (I think it's model WD800JB) with Windows XP Pro that has some files - music, pictures, videos - that I want to transfer to a new build that will have a Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB with Vista 64.

The mobo will either be a GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P or GA-MA790XT-UD4P.

From what I've read these are the steps after installing Vista 64 on the Caviar Black 640:

1. Turn off PC, connect the 80GB drive, and reboot.

2. Go into BIOS and make sure the 640GB drive with Vista 64 boots.

3. Copy and paste my data files from the 80GB drive to the 640GB drive.

4. Power down the computer, disconnect the 80GB drive, and reboot.

What I am unsure about is flipping the 80GB IDE drive into SLAVE mode so that it will work secondary to the 640GB drive,

Also do I need to designate the 640GB drive as MASTER before making the file transfer and then later switch it to SINGLE mode?

Finally, should I fasten the 80GB to the case or temporarily connect it and put it on the desk?
September 2, 2009 3:55:42 AM

Does your new motherboard have any IDE ports or do you have a converter?

Are you planning on transferring Windows XP to your new computer as an extra OS or do you just want to copy the data files?

If that drive is 6 years old, then you're better off getting rid of it after you copy the files. Otherwise, if you end copying new files to it, then it'd only be a matter of time before it dies and if you didn't do your backups, you'd lose the new files.
September 2, 2009 4:10:26 AM

^

Both motherboards have a IDE connector.

I'm not transferring Windows XP only the data files.

After transferring files from the old 80GB drive to the new 640GB I will have no use for the 80GB drive.
Related resources
September 2, 2009 7:23:57 PM

You don't need to make any changes to the SATA, there is no slave and master with sata drives.

This guys here explains it:

"master-slave is an addressing mechanism used to distinguish between
two devices on an IDE (PATA) cable. But SATA only allows for one device
on its cable, so there is no need for anything like master-slave or its
jumpers. So, you just plug the SATA cable the device (along with power),
and you're done. If you have two SATA HDs, then you'll have two cables. "
http://www.howtofixcomputers.com/bb/ftopic93844.html

If you don't mind me asking, is your windows xp pro version OEM or Retail
September 2, 2009 9:33:33 PM

tosh9i said:
If you don't mind me asking, is your windows xp pro version OEM or Retail

It's OEM. It's labeled as Windows XP Home Edition, which is the version I paid for, but for some reason the disc actually contains XP Pro.
!