Okay, my problem is the opposite of the d drive to c drive guy

huahwife

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
Hi everyone! I am hopeful that this board can help me with my simple problem.

I have plenty of storage space on my new computer (Vista) in c drive, but my d drive (system backups) which is a ntfs partition(?) is almost full. How do I allocate space from the c to d drive or expand my drivers all together without buying a stupid memory stick or installing another driver?

On that note, I was not as familiar with backing up my systems when I first bought this computer, but I am a fast study, and I want to clean up some of the useless backups I saved there? I cleaned up all but the most recent backups already. Is there some way to clean it up without causing my computer to flip out? It won't allow me to do a disk cleanup because it says there is 0 MB of items that can be cleaned. Obviously, that is not the case. I must have saved over several times backups when I had computer problems in the past before I figured out it was malware causing the problems and got better malware protection.

My old computer is an XP 2001 and this is a problem for that one as well. :hello:

Thanks!

r_manic

Administrator
Hey huahwife (wattaname!), sounds like you want to resize your partitions. Just make sure you back up all your important stuff (whatever you can't lose) before doing this: download the GParted ISO (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/) and burn it onto a CD with ImgBurn (http://www.imgburn.com/).

You'll end up with a bootable CD that will let you resize partitions to your heart's content! Boot from your new CD and the program will start.

Just be patient though, as the process will take some time.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Disk Cleanup will only get rid of things you have already deleted. Even though you may have old backup files you don't want to keep, you must delete them for Disk Cleanup to know about it. Then I suggest you also Empty the Recycle Bin, and that will simplify the task for disk Cleanup.

Within Disk Cleanup, check all the groups of things it can do for you , like deleting browser cache files and deleting temp files from old installation work. Let it clean out anything you are SURE you don't need.