Sign in with
Your question

8800GT on WoW

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 13, 2008 9:37:18 PM

so i bought my 8800GT 512 meg card last week and got my new PSU, a Enermax Noisetaker 485 watt with dual 12v rails with 22amps on each 12v rail meaning i have 44amps total, so from what i understand plenty of juice. When i am playing games liek CoD4 at 1680x1050 im running flawlessly and im getting mad fps in upwards of 80-90fps even during intense fights. now when i play wow and im in one of the main cities my fps drops to around 30fps. when im cruisin around doin my dailies and stuff im usually around 55-60 fps but most times right at 60fps (i have vertical sync on btw). but then when im raiding in Black Temple i am getting frams as low as 13 fps. this is odd and kinda bugs me cuz my x1600 was getting 30 in black temple during raids. idk it just doesnt make sense, anyone have any ideas?

More about : 8800gt wow

June 13, 2008 9:46:04 PM

It's software issue. Happens a lot with WoW. Have you tried updating driver?
June 13, 2008 9:49:24 PM

i have the newest driver available, i only installed the card on monday
Related resources
June 13, 2008 9:51:15 PM

also how much should i overclock my card to? or if i even need to. and also this card is runnin kinda hot, i was playin wow and the temp was at 62C but then when i run CoD4 im at like 66C, i have the fan cranked up to 100% and everything its odd
June 13, 2008 9:55:03 PM

blazewide said:
also how much should i overclock my card to? or if i even need to. and also this card is runnin kinda hot, i was playin wow and the temp was at 62C but then when i run CoD4 im at like 66C, i have the fan cranked up to 100% and everything its odd

66 degrees C under load isn't too bad for graphics card. Gpu is supposed to run hotter than cpu. You should be able to reliably oc a typical 8800gt to 700mhz without stability problems. Keep an eye on temperature though. It's supposed to be able to handle up to 110 degrees C, but you shouldn't allow it to go above 80.

Still, oc probably won't help with the WoW problem. WoW is not very demanding, so it can't be hardware related.
June 13, 2008 10:15:57 PM

im using a AMD 64 X2 4600+ running at 2.4Ghz
June 13, 2008 10:24:41 PM

WoW is an MMO...the laws of FPS don't work. seriously.
June 13, 2008 10:34:51 PM

lol damn i thought cuz its 3d it had to follow the same rules
June 14, 2008 12:42:10 AM

Hi!

Here's my config : E6750@3200MHz, 8800GT OC@650MHz and 4GB Patriot 800MHz, Corsair PSU, etc.
Wow is always at 60 FPS rez: 1920 x 1200... alll highest settings on both the game and nVidia drivers.
My 2 cents....
Depend on which addons your running not the game itself. Questhelper like addons use WAY TOO much ressources. Remove and verify. Sometimes it also depend on the group youre in. I;ve seen this with old version of CTRaid
June 14, 2008 12:55:11 AM

Have you considered your internet connection?
I know recently in my area ISPs have been starting to limit bandwidth, its a fairly new thing...
So maybe your home network or internet connection is the problem? I have an 8800GTS and I get a constant 60fps (I believe this is the cap) no matter where I am in game, I have a cable internet connection.
June 14, 2008 12:59:43 AM

cosmicc said:
Have you considered your internet connection?
I know recently in my area ISPs have been starting to limit bandwidth, its a fairly new thing...
So maybe your home network or internet connection is the problem? I have an 8800GTS and I get a constant 60fps (I believe this is the cap) no matter where I am, I have a cable internet connection.

Would internet lag actually affect fps? Wouldn't it just get "stuck" while maintaining normal fps? :p 

It doesn't affect FPS that way, why would WoW be different?
June 14, 2008 2:48:47 AM

blazewide said:
so i bought my 8800GT 512 meg card last week and got my new PSU, a Enermax Noisetaker 485 watt with dual 12v rails with 22amps on each 12v rail meaning i have 44amps total, so from what i understand plenty of juice. When i am playing games liek CoD4 at 1680x1050 im running flawlessly and im getting mad fps in upwards of 80-90fps even during intense fights. now when i play wow and im in one of the main cities my fps drops to around 30fps. when im cruisin around doin my dailies and stuff im usually around 55-60 fps but most times right at 60fps (i have vertical sync on btw). but then when im raiding in Black Temple i am getting frams as low as 13 fps. this is odd and kinda bugs me cuz my x1600 was getting 30 in black temple during raids. idk it just doesnt make sense, anyone have any ideas?

You can probably raise your fps by turning down special effects, when you are playing with a lot of players at once on the screen animating characters and abilities plus the enemy abilities it will probably tax your video card a lot.

Dagger is right, its more than likely software optimization - the game is probably not optimized for that kind of load at max settings; maybe the next expansion of your game will help they might update the graphics engine for modern hardware at that time, you never know.
June 14, 2008 3:12:59 AM

I completely disagree with anyone saying that WoW's graphics are taxing the videocard. I have a 8800GS, and played WoW at over 100 FPS... In all honesty, I can't remember a time, ever, that the game ran at lower than 60FPS.

A few friends of mine had this sort of problem, and it turned out to be addons. In a raiding situation, things like threat meters, damage meters, and so on can gobble up all your memory... and then the FPS takes a dive. The most blatant example I saw of an addon crushing performance, was when a friend playing WoW on a cheap laptop with intel graphics and 2GB of RAM, tried using QuestHelper. He went from like 30FPS on low settings, to a 10 FPS slide show.

So, if I were you, I'd check to see if any of the addons I have are more prone to being memory hungry, and try disabling a few. I highly doubt that WoW's old effects are taxing your 8 series Nvidia.

June 14, 2008 6:32:05 AM

i have been going through my addons one by one tonight. and btw i have a 10meg up and down fiber optic connection, i dont get limited lol
June 14, 2008 12:50:44 PM

blazewide said:
i have been going through my addons one by one tonight. and btw i have a 10meg up and down fiber optic connection, i dont get limited lol

How much system memory do you have? Running out of ram and using large amount of page file off hdd could cause that kind of lag.
June 14, 2008 6:03:37 PM

2 gigs ddr2
June 14, 2008 6:04:40 PM

i had 6 gigs but the 2 2 gig sticks turned out to be bad
June 14, 2008 7:07:50 PM

Totally agree with Fulle. Blaze... why not a fresh install of WOW without ANY addons AND put your stuff to default values (graphic and Core speed). A long and painful process but doing this step by step will resolve your problem. It is nothing related to the connection. MAYBE check your anti-virus. They scan all textures if they are not properly configured :)  I use Symantec Endpoint.

If COD run like a blast WoW should be just SMOOTHER :) 
June 14, 2008 8:12:53 PM

im usin bitdefender, and i removed my WTF, cache, and interface and it did start running like a knife through hot butter, not im trying to figure out which addon is causing this.
July 5, 2008 7:15:33 PM

I play wow as well with a 8800gt and Athlon 4800x2. I also only get low frame rates in cities when they are busy, sometimes down to about 20 or 30 fps. This is only marginally better than my 7800gt which I replaced. I think the low fps in certain situations is where there is a lot going on and the computer has to process a lot of data. I think the older processor may be the bottleneck. Try overclocking the processor and see if that makes a difference, I haven't tried that with mine yet. Also my experience of low fps has only so far in cities since I haven't progressed as far yet as going on 40-man raids!
July 8, 2008 1:24:22 AM

blazewide said:
im usin bitdefender, and i removed my WTF, cache, and interface and it did start running like a knife through hot butter, not im trying to figure out which addon is causing this.

My first guess would be any number cruncher you have. I forget the names right off, but those combat log things can really suck up the resources.
!