Declare War on Rabid Fanboys Without Flaming!

Sick of rabid fanboys? Me too.

Many of us just can't stand to see bad advice and misinformation on these forums. In our attempt to correct the misinformation we accidentally start some flame wars that just end up going in circles.

Let's declare war on the fanboys WITHOUT flaming. "How the hell do I do that?" you ask? Simple:

THG rolled out a lot of new features with the new forum software. Many of you are already enjoying some of these features such as:

- 50% Slower Load Times
- 5x more Advertisements
- Broken English in User Interface

HOWEVER, we have all underutilized a very useful feature!: You can vote Up or Down on a post. If a post gets a few down votes, it hides itself and others have to unhide it in order for it to be read:

declarewar1.png

So let's all declare war on fanboyous statements and make the disappear from the forums! The best of both worlds, no more flame wars, and the removal of misinformation.

I ask my fellow factboys to please join my efforts. Here's a good thread we can start to "clean up":

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/251216-28-q6600-real-quad

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
So you are a fanboy for antifanboyism? This can go in circles forever. Also I hate this feature because so far all I have seen is the fanboys battling each other with this new feature.

I am specifically referring to two people that are causing some flame wars. Everyone else seems very reasonable. I think my fellow fact loving factboys will only target people who aren't trying to discuss, but are just trying to disrupt the board. Opinions contrary to the majority are fine with us, it's when someone constantly tried to shove the same lie down everyone's throats in every single thread it gets a little frustrating.

I do see you concern, I just don't think it will be a problem.

keithlm

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2007

The problem is that often you are claiming to discuss facts... but are discussing your opinions and presenting them as "facts".

When you present an opinion as a "fact" you may have somebody mention that your "fact" is not accurate. This is not an untruth. It is just somebody that does not agree with your opinion. (Which you presented as a "fact".)

Nobody likes the BS but I see the overwhelming potential for serious abuse with the up/down vote thang.

And when you call yourself a 'factboy' and start a thread like this .... well .... just remember: You have a friend in Jesus (and ... Lighten up, Francis).

Drop kick me, Jesus through the goal posts of life
End over end, neither left nor to right
Straight through the heart of them righteous uprights
Drop kick me, Jesus through the goal posts of life

Make me, oh make me, Lord more than I am
Make me a piece in your master game plan
Free from the earthly temptations below
I've got the will, Lord if you've got the toe

(Chorus)
Drop-kick me, Jesus, through the goalposts of life,
End over end, neither left nor to right.
Straight through the heart of them righteous uprights
Drop-kick me, Jesus, through the goalposts of life.

Bring on the brothers who've gone on before
Bring on the sisters who've knocked on your door.
Bring on those sainted relations of mine
And put them up front in the offensive line.

(Chorus)

A lowly bench warmer I'm contented to be
Until the time you have need of me
Flash on the big scoreboard that shines up on high
The big Superbowl 'way up in the sky

(Chorus)

YAY!!!! I am famous and in your screenshot!!!! YAY!!!!

Says the guy who has yet to ever disagree with anyone and provide any link to anything showing this as proof. Oh and if you start a site that is obviously one sided does not count.

When you actually provide proof, and the first day you do I am sure Hell will freeze over, then maybe people will take in what you say. Until then You are pretty much seen as a flame starter.

bobwya

May 21, 2005

:pt1cable: "Let's clean house!!" :pt1cable:

Bob

SirCrono

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
I'm all for it, I've already started, as for the how many votes question in this same thread you'll see there are two post with a -4 score that are being hidden, but I think the rule must be an absolute number or a percentage. Why not ask the mods about it?

piratepast40

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
This sounds like some adolescent bullying to me. Most people can sort out the jerks and it's really your own personal choice to have a reaction to the childish taunting. The voting to hide a post smacks of Lord of the Flies and is also very childish. I thought the voting was to express displeasure and voice your opinion that the comment was inappropriate or wrong, not to hide it.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Sorry, although I agree in principle, I think it's going to turn out bad. This will catch on and we will wind up with rampant negative numbers on all the posts.

I think if you want to rate a post as being bad you should have to post and give your reasons.

I will go as far as to say I think they should remove this feature.

I've seen thumbs down on perfectly good posts because someone was pissed at the poster. I must admit, I have also seen them on troll posts. I have used it only once, that I remember, on that dork that comes in and posts complete gibberish, because I was irritated. It wasn't necessary, because it was clear he was just trying to irritate. In hindsight it was a mistake.

TC, I'm a little surprised that you would advocate using this tactic.

I see two options:

1. Childish circular flaming that hides any useful information
2. Using a feature that allows the quiet removal of fanboy facts (aka total bulls**t)

Both are childish, but one is more productive.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

True, except many people would need to be 'pissed' before it got to a level of unreadability... Also I think there should be a see-sawing system for users. If the user repetitively flames/insults you, you can 'block' out their posts.

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008

Exactly, just look at the articles on THW, the rating system has run rampant and most of the ones that have negative numbers are because of some one just disagreeing. The absolute problem with all of this is the fact that not one of us is always right and not one of us, for this reason, have the right to judge another person's opinion or intended facts. The only time this feature should be used is when some one blatantly uses profanity or obscenity to insult some one. I have yet to see this feature used for this purpose, rather I have only seen this feature used as an aggressive gesture against the poster. I believe that the positive or negative rating feature should ONLY be used in absolutely EXTREME circumstances, such as the one I listed above. Like everything in the world, there is always some one who will abuse this feature and I have a feeling that this will be the most common circumstance.

Jake_Barnes

Splendid

And, you can alert a Moderator ... hint: Moderators don't read that many threads ... they count on the members to report trouble.