please critique my new (and first ever) build specs

jff1625

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
Hi all,
This'll be my first ever desktop build. Only used laptops until now.

I'll be using it for web design and development, so a lot of multitasking. I typically have flash, photoshop, notepad++, and maybe fireworks open, plus at least 10-20 tabs/pages open in firefox, plus quite often, safari + opera + ie6 and sometimes even ie7 all at the same time, so i need it to multitask well and have scads of memory.

I used to game but not so much any more, so I'm concerned my choice of video card may be a little overpowered/overpriced.

I plan to overclock the sytem to get blazing performance in photoshop for a sensible/mainstream price. That said, I'm concerned the CPU cooler I've selected may not fit in the case I've chosen,or might block some other components.

I already have a usb/bluetooth keyboard and mouse (logitech mx5000) but I'm concerned they may not work until the OS is up, ie not in the BIOS settings. So I've included a cheapie keyboard in the list. Should I get a cheap mouse as well? or is it not needed for BIOS settings?

Do you think the PSU I've chosen is appropriate? Overpowered/underpowered?

anyway, here's my preliminary spec list. What do you think?

* Case Gigabyte GZ-X1 ATX Mid Tower Case, Black

* Motherboard Asus P5K-E/WIFI-AP Motherboard, Socket 775, 1066MHz FSB, 4xDIMM DDR2, 2xPCIe-16, 3xPCI, 2xPCIe-1, 10xUSB2, Firewire, Audio, ATA, RAID, ATX

* CPU Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 GHz, 1066MHz FSB, Socket 775, Retail pack with fan

* Hard drive Seagate Barracuda ST3320620AS Hard Disk Drive, 320GB, 7200rpm, 16384KB Cache, SATA-2

* Optical drive BenQ DW1680 DVD Writer, DVD 16R/16W/8RW, CD 48R/48W/32RW, Internal, IDE, Black, OEM, Nero 6

* Memory Corsair XMS2, TWIN2X4096-6400C5, 2x2GB, DDR2-800, PC2-6400, CL5, DIMM

* Video card Asus EN8600GT/2DHT/256M Video Card, GeForce 8600 GT, 256MB, DDR3, PCIe-16, TV out, DVI, HDTV, SLI ready

Keyboard Rock Keyboard, USB, Black, OEM $17.82

Monitor Samsung 226BW Monitor, 22" LCD, 1680x1050, DVI, Black

Power supplies Enermax Liberty DXX SLI, 500W ATX PSU, Active PFC, SLI Ready

OS Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1, for (32/64-bit) systems, DVD

Cooling Silverstone FM121, Case Fan, 120mm, with Aluminium Fan Controller, White

Cooling Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme, 120mm Fan, (Intel LGA 775, AMD AM2), CPU Cooler

thanks for any advice,
Jeff

akhilles

Splendid
If your keyb/mouse combo is USB, it will work with modern modos. By default, the BIOS is set to enable USB keyb/mouse. Some go so far as to let you chooce between OS/BIOS drivers. Yup, the drivers are built-into bios. In BIOS mode, you can use the input devices in dos, linux, commandlines, whatever. Even the mouse works. I have only USB keyb/mouse hooked to my pc. Works in bios, dos, etc. etc. This is what I call advancement. Next one is ASUS' new BIOS with modded Linux & Firefox built-in. 10 secs to Internet. Beat that. Next one would be MS VS ASUS. LOL.

MS: You're a monopoly.
ASUS: LMAO
MS: We'll destroy you.
ASUS: Like you destroyed Google. LOL.

I do have a PS/2 keyb/mouse combo lying around. The irony is that Windows won't recognize the USB keyb/mouse if they're plugged in different ports. In that case, the only way to click the driver install wizard is use a ps/2 keyboard/mouse. Pick up a $5 one if you're concerned. Keyboard is better cuz it will work in bios & dos. I don't know about Logitech & Vista. I'd expect MS/Logitech fixed this simple thing.

If you game at all, the gpu is ok. I have pretty much given up on pc gaming. I run about the same apps as you on my Quadro which cost me $10 + shipping on ebay. Did I say brand new? It even supports dual monitors. The only downside is choppy HD video playback, as expected. The 8500/8600 is good at that as well.

You might want to consider xigmatek hdt-s1283 heatsink which performs about the same as TRUE for less.

mrmessma

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
I do not know how much you plan on gaming, but you can still get a very reasonably priced ati 3870 or almost 8800gt *130-140* which will keep games at least playable for years to come where as the 8600 will get outdated pretty promptly. But if that is not a concern, then don't worry.

You could probably find a case for the same price with more money put into where it counts as compared to a case with an included Power supply which you're not planning on using. Despite using a quad core, nothing else you have will really suck a lot of power, so a smaller PSU would be fine, but don't sweat having a little extra, just make sure it's a reputable brand more than anything.

The TRUE will be a tight fit, I would suggest an OCZ vendetta 2 if you're worried, but you should be able to manage it.

I would suggest a 750 hard drive if you do a lot of photoshop, I have to guess you will fill it quickly. But that is only because 750 is the best GB/$ value. It isn't a must, but just something to think about.