Sign in with
Your question

About Partition and swapping OS (Easy question)

Last response: in Storage
September 2, 2009 12:04:35 PM

Most programs want to install on the C drive, wouldn't that mean that a 150G OS partition would not be good in the length?

- Operation system /C
- Games and programs /C
- Pictures /D
- Documents /D
- Downloaded files (Mainly movies) /D

Would it be best to make a 500G x2 partition?
Also, I bought Windows Vista 64bit with free Windows 7 upgrade, I don't think I need two Operation systems. When I swap from Windows Vista to Windows7, do I need to move everything I want to keep over to the D drive, since the Windows 7 installation on the C drive would erase everything else than the OS itself, right? How about games installed and such?
September 2, 2009 1:03:20 PM

If your going to install games on that 150GB partition i would have more than 150gb. I made the mistake of having an 80gb as my primary drive for OS and installed some games on it. Actually I just installed STEAM on it. BIG MISTAKE. Vista took up a crap load of drive space, and the drive was full about a week later after putting L4D and HL2 games on it. Even with 150 i think it would be better to have more. at least 250gb to be safe.

Im running a drive with 250gb as my Primary and a 320gb as storage which i keep my music , drivers, movies, and games like WOW on that don't tie into the windows registry. So far with my 250 as primary I have Crysis, L4d, CS:Source, ARMA2, HL2, TF2,COD4/COD5, Witcher and GTAIV installed through STEAM and i still have about 100 GB left.
a b $ Windows 7
a c 342 G Storage
September 2, 2009 5:12:53 PM

What we are told is that Win 7 WILL do an upgrade from VISTA, but not from any earlier Windows. An Upgrade is supposed to replace the OS with the new one and NOT touch any other information on your disk. So, technically, there should be no need to move all your stuff when you upgrade.

HOWEVER many people advise that there is always a danger, even if only unlikely, that any major operation on your C: drive like an OS upgrade could cause damage and loss of data. Hence it is ALWAYS a good practice to back up all the data on your machine - including the data on other drives, even - to be absolutely sure you do not lose anything.
September 2, 2009 6:56:58 PM

how big are each of your partitions?
!