DAW build. how many case fans?

yes please

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
A search still leaves me in the dark, so here it is...

Intel Quad 6600 @ 2.4GHz
Intel BOXDP35DP motherboard
4 GB A-DATA PC6400 RAM 800MHz 1.8v
3x Seagate Barracuda 250GB 7200rpm 16mb
Gigabyte GV-NX86T256H-ZL GeForce 8600 GT 256MB PCIe x16

Antec Sonata Plus case with 550W PS and 120mm exhaust fan
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro

So......so far I've only got one fan, and that's the 120mm exhaust fan included with the case.

Alright now my question is.....how many additional fans do I need, what's the best place to put them, (notice i'm going to have 3 hard drives). I would like to run them off the Intel DP35 motherboard (is there a way that the case fan that's included with the Antec Sonata Plus be controlled by the mb?), but I don't know how many pins it has, or what to look for really as far as compatible fans are concerned. For the hard drives should I use dedicated harddrive coolers or just run a fan or two on them? I'm just kind of clueless about the whole fan/case cooling thing.

I'd like everything to run as quiet as possible, but obviously adequate cooling comes first.

By the way, will the other two hard drives be spinning at all times eventhough they won't be in use always?

Wow, very novice questions....sorry. I'll go crawl in a hole now.

akhilles

Splendid
Judging by the look of it (and yes I can judge a book by its cover) (I do have the Solo which looks identical to Sonata Plus & the same Antec fan), the fan is a 4-pin molex with pass-thru: wire to fan; connector; any additional fan.

[fan]====[====[fan]====[ and so on

You can chain 10 fans up with one molex connector from the psu. If you want to control fan speeds, pick up a $20 fan controller. This way, if or when you swap mobos, you can keep everything else intact.

If you're not overclocking, you don't need more than the 120mm rear exhaust. My family pc in the same case has only 1 exhaust fan. The front is a filter. It's overclocked from 1.6 to 3ghz.

yes please

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
thanks a lot for the info. didn't know about the fan controller.

so with the 3 hard drives, quad, the video card...i only need one fan in the entire case?

TRENDING THREADS