The stress on componenets O'cing them?

the1tarheel

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Ok
Hello all,

I am very new to the idea of overclocking and have only dabbled in using window based programs so far (foxconn's FoxOne)
i love it..... but I would like opinons on the lifespan changes OCing will decrease ( is this based on amounts overclocked, heat , combonations of all.... etc.)

I have an AMD 5000+ with locked multipier and have been @ 2.9 but nothing higher and am interested in trying for higher in bios. Just curious about lifespan and if anyone has this chip and their results (I know all chips and mobo react differently, just like to see examples of other peoples work also)

AMD64X2 5000+ 2.6
Foxconn A7VMX-K
G-Skill pc6400 DDR2 800 mhz 5-5-5-15
ANTEC Ea500 Earthwatts psu
Seagate 250 gb hdd

THANKS in advance for any input

Component lifespan depends on a few factors:

The manufactured quality of the hardware component being overclocked, some of high quality have exceptional overclocking headroom, and some do not, its kinda the luck of the draw so to speak, you either get good batch release or a disaster waiting to happen, if you get a lemon you'll know immediately.

The type overclocking you're actually doing affects lifespan such as increasing memory clock speeds and such, but not as much as when raising voltages comes into play to attain the stable overclock you're after.

Raising voltages on any component shortens its lifespan but keeping the component cool by adding additional or advanced cooling methods, lenghtens the time to a total fail point.

Most overclocks are considered acceptable losses, because the time to upgrade falls inside the fail point, of course none of us actually know where the fail point of a component actually is, and you may not even experience a failure in your entire overclock experience, as for me thats not the case as for probably most experienced overclockers that have learned that lesson the hard way.

There are failsafes that basically keep components from disaster, like if you take a CPUs mhz past its capabilities It'll just shut down, then you clear the CMOS and start over, however there is no failsafe for overvoltage, too much voltage can cause immediate irrepairable damage, so learn before doing when it comes to manipulating voltages past their default settings, don't learn that lesson the hard way, it can get expensive.

Study first then do! There are so many overclocking guides and advice available, Google is a wonderful tool for knowledge.

Hope this helped some. Ryan