Sign in with
Your question

Should I upgrade the processor? P4 1.8ghz to P4 2.66ghz

Last response: in CPUs
July 6, 2008 4:46:55 AM

I have a Dell Dimension pc that I now use to host a counter strike server on my home LAN. It currently has a P4 1.8ghz processor running with 1GB RAM. My question is, do you guys think it is worth it to swap in a P4 2.66ghz processor I have laying around? Do you think there would be a significant performance difference?

It came out of my gf's dell that recently died. We are thinking its the mobo that went or possibly the PSU. We decided to just order\build a new comp since it's 4 years old. Hopefully the processor is still good.
July 6, 2008 4:54:30 AM

RyanS2000 said:
I have a Dell Dimension pc that I now use to host a counter strike server on my home LAN. It currently has a P4 1.8ghz processor running with 1GB RAM. My question is, do you guys think it is worth it to swap in a P4 2.66ghz processor I have laying around? Do you think there would be a significant performance difference?

It came out of my gf's dell that recently died. We are thinking its the mobo that went or possibly the PSU. We decided to just order\build a new comp since it's 4 years old. Hopefully the processor is still good.

Why not if you have an extra one.
July 6, 2008 5:04:07 AM

Yep. Change the processor? Why doubt when it's free? Change it! :) 
Related resources
July 6, 2008 5:06:26 AM

you get a huge improvement if you can up the fsb and and cpu speed

if the fsb is the same you may not see that much

use your task manger and stretch it across you sreen

you can use many prgrams from the olf ramsize, nvidia tools monitor there are many

see what is limited what is maxed
July 6, 2008 5:12:06 AM

if it is free of course

why you ask about this

it is obvious
July 6, 2008 5:24:53 AM

I'm not even going to dignify this question with a response as the answer is so obvious.
July 6, 2008 5:31:23 AM

You guys are right, it may be very simple and obvious. Obviously 2.66ghz > 1.8ghz

The only reason I am questioning it is because it is going in a crappy Dell mobo where the bios is locked in every which way. Is it possible I will only see a ~1% increase or do u guys think it is definitely worth doing the swap?

I cannot change the bus speed or multiplier as you guys already know.

Thanks in advance
July 7, 2008 4:02:00 AM

Give it a shot. If you don't get better performance... well, oh well, you tried. If you get worse performance, pop the old CPU in. If better performance with the new chip - Wahoo! you just upped your performance for free!
July 7, 2008 4:07:47 AM

More information on the system please. Model number, motherboard information...

If the processor is compatible, no doubt, GO FOR IT. Just sure to apply some thermal compound.
a c 203 à CPUs
July 7, 2008 5:02:42 AM

There maybe a motherboard and/or BIOS compatibility issue as TC is hinting.
400MHZ FSB for the P4 1.8Ghz and 800Mhz FSB for the P4 2.66ghz.
You might also need to add some cooling. IRC some of those early P4s were passively cooled which might not work for the hotter 2.66ghz model.
July 7, 2008 5:08:34 AM

I'm guessing the guy probably has a Dell Dimension 4500. A 2.66GHz cpu, is by default 533fsb. Now, the only real question is, is it a Northwood or a Prescott? A Northy works fine....a Prescott is not supported.
July 16, 2008 3:51:29 PM

The system I want to put the P4 2.66ghz into is a Dell Dimension 2350 (which currently sports a P4 1.8ghz). The 2.66ghz CPU is coming out of a Dell Dimension 2400. It looks as if a transistor or something on the 2400's mobo exploded, there is this rubbery\foamy stuff coming out of it. The pc will no longer POST after a power outage.

On the top of the 2.66ghz chip reads:

Intel '01
Pentium 4
2.66ghz / 512 / 533
SL6PE MALAY
L420A567

M422B137

Thanks for your guys help
July 17, 2008 12:24:33 AM

It's a Northwood. It'll work fine.
July 18, 2008 4:23:05 AM

I have a pic of what I think is the cause of the 2.66ghz PC failing.

It looks like one of the capacitors exploded; right next to the CMOS battery (I removed it to reduce glare of flash)

July 18, 2008 8:43:36 AM

Since you have two computers lying around why don't you hunt around for a cheap mobo the new P4 2.66ghz processor will fit into and combine the best bits of your machine with the best bits of hers? In essence you could have 1x1.8 running data into a 1x2.66. Hello.
July 18, 2008 2:28:51 PM

Vertigon said:
Since you have two computers lying around why don't you hunt around for a cheap mobo the new P4 2.66ghz processor will fit into and combine the best bits of your machine with the best bits of hers? In essence you could have 1x1.8 running data into a 1x2.66. Hello.

As mentioned above, the only use I have for the extra PC is to host a small game server. I was just going to swap out the 1.8ghz that is currently in the server pc and put in the 2.66ghz. I really dont want to invest any money in 'turd polish;' We are going to build an entire new pc for my gf being the one that broke is now 4 years old. There really are no other components other then a nvidia PCI graphics card and 1gb ram which are both already in the dell game server pc.
a c 126 à CPUs
July 18, 2008 3:33:15 PM

Holy jebus its ALIVE!!!!!!!!

Nice pic of the blown thingamagigy.

Do you know the model of your mobo in that PC you want to drop the 2.66GHz Northwood into? Cuz the 1.8GHz sports a 400MHz FSB and the 2.66GHz sports a 533MHz FSB and unless the mobo supports the 533FSB there will be problems.
July 19, 2008 4:39:25 AM

I'm not sure, I just tried to look on dells sight but of course its like finding a needle in a haystack with them

Dell Dimension 2350 is the model
July 20, 2008 12:43:13 AM

Well I just tried the 2.66ghz in the 1.8ghz machine and it would not even POST. According to Dells diagnostics lights on the back, it is a memory error but I am assuming it is the limited FSB holding it back. That's a bummer.

And as for the pic I posted above, my working 1.8ghz mobo has that same white crap coming out of the capacitor; weird.

One good thing I got out of this was reseating my 1.8ghz CPU with some fresh arctic silver 5. Dell had a thin piece of what looked like tin foil being held to the heatsink by a tar substance. I scraped it off with a scotch bright and gave the cpu and heatsink surface a good cleaning with alcohol and applied some fresh arctic silver.
July 20, 2008 7:54:48 PM

RyanS2000 said:

And as for the pic I posted above, my working 1.8ghz mobo has that same white crap coming out of the capacitor; weird.

You might want to get ready to replace that server...
July 20, 2008 9:12:34 PM

B-Unit said:
You might want to get ready to replace that server...

I'm thinking maybe it is there for a purpose. It's strange that it is identical in both PC's. Same capacitor, same crap, same amount, same shape\size.
a c 126 à CPUs
July 21, 2008 12:13:43 AM

^sorry your CPU switch didn/'t work ouy for ya. I had a feeling the FSB would come and kick ya. That and I think your 1.8GHz might be a Willimette not a Northwood.

The 2.66 Cannot be a Prescott was the introduction to LGA775.

More than likely your mobo just cannot support the 533FSB and is stuck at a max of 400. Do you know what chipset your mobo is running?

Oh and to a earlier comment, the 2.66GHz Pentium 4 were only on the 533FSB.
a b à CPUs
July 21, 2008 2:45:20 AM

i am afraid you are mistaken about prescott only being 775, i have a 3.0 ghz prescot socket 478
July 21, 2008 2:45:43 AM

jimmysmitty said:
^sorry your CPU switch didn/'t work ouy for ya. I had a feeling the FSB would come and kick ya. That and I think your 1.8GHz might be a Willimette not a Northwood.

The 2.66 Cannot be a Prescott was the introduction to LGA775.

More than likely your mobo just cannot support the 533FSB and is stuck at a max of 400. Do you know what chipset your mobo is running?

Oh and to a earlier comment, the 2.66GHz Pentium 4 were only on the 533FSB.

According to CPU-Z for the P4 1.8ghz:

Socket 478 mPGA,
technology 0.13um.
Northwood
BrandID: 9
Multiplier: x 18
Bus Speed: 99.7 MHz
Rated FSB: 398.7 MHz

Do you think the CPU could possibly be fried or do you def. think it is a FSB limitation causing the problem. With the 2.66ghz in the 1.8ghz machine I get nothing at all when I boot it; power light stays on but no picture being outputted and as mentioned above, I get dells diagnostic lights showing the memory error.

Thanks for the replies :) 
July 21, 2008 5:23:43 AM

Apparently the Dimension 2350 uses the 845GL chipest, which according to Intel is only certified for 400 fsb operation. Weird though, as most 845 chipsets work with both 400 and 533 fsb Northwood CPUs. Apparently either Dell or Intel locked out your 845GL to only accept 400 fsb CPUs. One way you can make the 2.66 GHz Northy work in your board is to pinmod it via a U wire between BSEL1 and BSEL0 to only 400 fsb, in effect underclocking it to 2.0GHz. It should then boot without problems, but it won't give you much of a boost though, as you already have a 1.8A northy in there. 200 MHz ain't gonna do much.
July 21, 2008 3:29:17 PM

joefriday said:
Apparently the Dimension 2350 uses the 845GL chipest, which according to Intel is only certified for 400 fsb operation. Weird though, as most 845 chipsets work with both 400 and 533 fsb Northwood CPUs. Apparently either Dell or Intel locked out your 845GL to only accept 400 fsb CPUs. One way you can make the 2.66 GHz Northy work in your board is to pinmod it via a U wire between BSEL1 and BSEL0 to only 400 fsb, in effect underclocking it to 2.0GHz. It should then boot without problems, but it won't give you much of a boost though, as you already have a 1.8A northy in there. 200 MHz ain't gonna do much.

Ahh that's a bummer. Like you said, it's not even worth the hassle for that extra 200mhz. It's a shame though, I thought it would be a simple swap and free upgrade since the processors are both P4's and theres just a jump in mhz. Thanks everyone for your responses. If anyone has any ideas of how I can get it to work feel free to chime in. That 2.66ghz will be collecting dust until I either get a new mobo to swap into her dell or until I can figure out a way to get it to work in my 1.8ghz machine.

With that said, is it possible to swap in an aftermarket mobo (asus, gigabyte, etc) into a dell case?
a c 126 à CPUs
July 21, 2008 4:03:01 PM

BadTrip said:
i am afraid you are mistaken about prescott only being 775, i have a 3.0 ghz prescot socket 478

Ahhh yes the P4 90nm 1MB Prescotts totlay slipped my mind. Funny considering I wanted one to change with mye P4 at the time, until I got my P4 EE 3.4GHz.

RyanS2000 said:
According to CPU-Z for the P4 1.8ghz:

Socket 478 mPGA,
technology 0.13um.
Northwood
BrandID: 9
Multiplier: x 18
Bus Speed: 99.7 MHz
Rated FSB: 398.7 MHz

Do you think the CPU could possibly be fried or do you def. think it is a FSB limitation causing the problem. With the 2.66ghz in the 1.8ghz machine I get nothing at all when I boot it; power light stays on but no picture being outputted and as mentioned above, I get dells diagnostic lights showing the memory error.

Thanks for the replies :) 

So it is a northy. I was just suggesting it was possible that it could have been. But it does seem to be the FSB limit. Unless Dell has a BIOS update on their website I am not sure you will get it to work. And finding a mobo for it will be very hard. But if you do look for the Asus P4P800 or the P4C800. The P4P800 had the 845PE chipset and the P4C800 had the 865PE chipset and both were pretty good.
a c 126 à CPUs
July 21, 2008 5:57:14 PM

^Holy Jebus. I didn't know there was a 478 mobo with DDR2 and PCIe. Must have been their own side project because I remember that the whole P9XX series chipsets should have been for LGA775.

Nice find though. I may pick one up cuz when I get a HD4870 1GB OC (if it comes out ) I will need to do something with my HD2900Pro 1GB and I am sure that mobo would help.
a b à CPUs
July 22, 2008 3:30:59 AM

biostar makes one also but you couldnt give me a biostar anything
July 22, 2008 11:46:54 AM

RyanS2000 said:

With that said, is it possible to swap in an aftermarket mobo (asus, gigabyte, etc) into a dell case?

Easily. I've got a dell case like yours right now running a Celeron 420 on an Asrock 775i65g motherboard (the best mATX board out there to run your old DDR ram and agp graphics card while being able to use a 800 and 1066 fsb allendale and conroe Core 2 processors, even the q6600 is supported). The only catch to the whole swap is the front audio connector, which itself is a very easy thing to get around as long as you use an older turtle beach Santa Cruz sound card, which sports the appropriate connector to hook up the front headphones jack. The first thing you'll have to do after removing your old motherboard is to remove the 4 stand offs used to mount the old Dell heatsink bracket to the case. These just screw out. Next, pop out the old I/O shield and replace it with the new one supplied with your new motherboard. Then put in the prepared motherboard (CPU, heatsink/fan, and ram already installed) and screw it into the case. The blue cable in your case is the one for front USB, and it is pinned exactly the same as any USB header, meaning just plug it into your new board and it works. The front panel wires for power switch, power led, and hard drive led can be repinned at the connector to accommodate your new motherboard. It's easy to see which wires are for what (just to get you started, the blue and orange wires are for the power button). Hell, even the big black fan in your dell is reusable. You'll have to shave some plastic off the backside of the fan connector, then it will plug into the motherboard and work just fine. What's nice is that it is self controlled using a thermistor, meaning it will speed up and slow down on its own, depending on case temps. The factory Dell PSU is 20 pin, and most likely a 250 watt unit in your 2350 (and I assume your girlfriends broken Dell was a 4600?), while being of pretty decent quality, it won't handle a lot of power if you decide to turn this Dell into a gaming machine, but it will handle a dual core CPU and integrated or entry level discrete graphics just fine (alternatively you could replace the Dell PSU with virtually any standard size aftermarket PSU if you so choose). The power plug is pinned the same as any other PSU, so just plug it into your now motherboard and it will work. Of course, the optical drives and hard drive are typical PATA, and will plug into your new motherboard just fine (you'll need a board that supports 4 IDE devices (i.e. has 2 IDE connectors) in order to reuse all your optical drives and hard drive). In short, it is extremely easy to put another motherboard into your dell.
July 22, 2008 3:43:46 PM

Thanks for the great reply

As I just built a new gaming pc (sig rig) the only thing I would like to get out of my current dell is better performance for the server (perhaps higher ticrate). If I run anything over 120 or so, CPU usage starts to jump around causing server lag. I can safely leave it at around 112 with no issues. I really don't want to spend any money on it. I may investigate further into my gfs broken dell. I can't figure out what it could be... If I pop out the CMOS battery and once I plug it in it sounds like it is going to boot but then stops and does the constant power-on power-off thing. Could this possibly just be a PSU issue?
a c 126 à CPUs
July 22, 2008 4:08:05 PM

^Sounds like the PSU might have gone kerplop. Dell/HP/eMachines use very cheap PSUs so it lasting as long as it has would be a suprise. Try throwing in a new one and see if that changes anything.
a b à CPUs
July 22, 2008 11:30:48 PM

i believe those dell psu's are proprietary, so you will need one from a dell
July 23, 2008 2:15:03 AM

^^Not true for that model Badtrip.
July 23, 2008 4:11:51 AM

But does the symptoms sounds like a PSU problem? I can try swapping in the PSU from my 1.8ghz machine to see if it works if you guys think there is a possibility of it working. I have no problem spending 15-20 bucks on a cheap replacement psu
July 23, 2008 12:16:05 PM

It's a possibility. Could also be the ram, CPU, or just the mobo. You can troubleshoot a lot of this by just swapping parts with your 1.8 rig.
August 3, 2008 5:00:01 AM

Just an update for you guys....

The other night I was bored and decided to try swapping the PSU from my working dell into my gf's "broken" dell and it fired right up. It was the PSU all along :) 

I ordered a 250w replacement off of newegg and it is up and running again
April 16, 2009 8:05:49 AM

Sorry to wake up an old thread, but you might be interested to know that you can actually put 2Gb of memory in a 2350, despite every dell site saying the maximum is 1Gb. I don't know if this would help your lan server ?

I have an old 2350 which has slowly morphed into a thing, but happily carries on. I had some spare simms and thought " I wonder .....".

the BIOS is A01 (as originally shipped) and the memory is DDR PC2700 184pin SIMMS 2 * 1Gb.
July 5, 2009 7:27:57 AM

Dude Thats Glue Holding Down The passive resistor too much shock kills them change the fuse in the PSU and put it back together the 2300 is way better anyways by the way you will see very little difference in performance as the buss speed is still low in other words the computer will finish tasks only as fast as the processor can recieve them you will only up to about 2.0 GHZ And You Math Processor Might Overheat Then Youl Have Two Dead Computers Not Worth It By The Way Since Its A Dell There Is A PSWD Prongset On The Mother Board Youl See It Its A Little Black Chip Looking Thingy Pull It Straight Up And Off With The Computer Unpluged For About 30 Secs And Put It Back On Then Power Up The PC And Boom BIOS IS No Longer Locked If You Were Refering To Password Protection That Is
November 13, 2009 9:36:36 AM

Dude what the brand of memory you put in the dell, i have that same computer and its all i got right now until i can afford the $180 processor for my Gigabyte P35c-Ds3r motherboard that supports ddr2 and 3.

Anyway i need to know where you got them memory modules, and the BRAND or Manufacturer on the label of the modules. because i just upgraded to 756KB from 256KB of ram and i saw a huge improvement. I cant believe my dad never upgraded the memory in it since 2002 till just a month ago when he gave it to me.

Ive got the other 512KB module on the way from china, as i was thinking a maximum of 1GB, but i can only imagine what 2GB would do for me, let alone being a pretty cool mod.

Also i am looking to upgrade the processor but as everyone is saying here you would only get upo to 2.0GHz on the Dell Dimension 2350 motherboard. I have exactly the same specs as the guy above, and am trying to figure out if i can get a better processor for this box, but if i cant get over 2.1 or 2.3 GHz its probably not worth it. OR is it the Front Side Bus thats would be the problem? Are the people who upgrade these dells like me wasting there money if they put a fast expensive $50-60 processor in these systems??

any help or suggestions would be great. thank you
!