Will turning on PC with no graphics card in PCI-E slot cause damage?

LkS

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
Hi,

This might sound like a weird question but I am toying with the idea of switching to a silent GPU solution and I want to know how quiet my PC will be with a silent graphics card so I can decide if its worth it. If I turn on my PC with no graphics card installed in the PCI express slot will this cause damage to the motherboard? Or will it just make some error beep/ not boot up and then work fine again when I replace the card?

Thanks for any help with this crazy 'experiment' of mine :D

G

it shouldn't damage it... BUT

it wouldn't work at all... you wouldn't get any signal to your monitor... there would be nothing to plug your monitor into.... you HAVE to have a gpu... its not a ... eh... I don't really want one.... kind of thing... its... crap... now i need to find a gpu

LkS

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
Thanks for reply. I don't intend to use the PC without a graphics card hehe. Just listen to it for a few seconds to see how quiet it is with no graphics noise. I just need to be sure that I wont mess up my motherboard doing this.

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
It won't hurt a thing. You can turn it on and off all day long everyday with no graphics card and it won't hurt it. It won't post, but it'll turn on and probably give an error beep code. Have no worries, onward with your experiment.

suspect

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
arson is correct give it a try

the only thing is the beeps may not be so silent... if you can find the pc speaker and disconnect you will get a true indication of how silent it will be...

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Remember to pull out the Cmos speaker, or you'll be plagued with error beeps (unless your system has a IGP).

Then remember to put it back in after you finish listening.

Invrlose

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2012

That is so false. Your motherboard may have an onboard video output that you can use.