Sign in with
Your question

Can't boot OS

Last response: in Storage
September 3, 2009 1:36:47 AM

Hi. I recently installed a second hard drive on my PC to speed things up a littlen and increase capacity, but now I cannot boot my system from that original drive. At first I was getting the error message,
A DISK READ ERROR OCCURRED. press Crtl. + Alt. + Del. to restart., (which did nothing) , followed later by "ONE OF YOUR DISKS NEEDS TO BE CHECKED FOR CONSISTENCY .." , then "WINDOWS FAILED TO LOAD BECAUSE THE SYSTEM REGISTRY FILE IS MISSING OR CORRUPT." I've tried to use the repair option when booting from my VISTA DVD, but that is a dead end as well.I can boot my PC from the new drive and get things up and going , but all the programs I'm currently using are on the other drive ( the drive with the OS that won't boot) ...Would reinstalling my programs on the new drive be the most direct way of dealing with this ?

ASUS BLITZ EXtreme
ZOTAC Ge Force GTX 295
4 GIG CORSAIR DDR3 1333
WD 150 VELOCIRAPTOR <-new drive
WD 250 GIG SATA

More about : boot

a b G Storage
September 3, 2009 2:16:51 AM

Huh? You didn't install a new drive, and then, with the old drive and OS still in the computer reinstall your OS to the new drive? Shame, shame, shame. If you did this, yes you have created a problem.
All you can do at this point really is reinstall everything on the new drive.
But, unhook the old drive first. After you reinstall the OS, and all your programs, you can hook up your old drive as a secondary unit, and copy any data you may have on it that is important over to the new drive. (notice I said "data", like saved files, pictures, documents, etc.)
September 3, 2009 2:51:45 AM

jitpublisher said:
Huh? You didn't install a new drive, and then, with the old drive and OS still in the computer reinstall your OS to the new drive? Shame, shame, shame. If you did this, yes you have created a problem.
All you can do at this point really is reinstall everything on the new drive.
But, unhook the old drive first. After you reinstall the OS, and all your programs, you can hook up your old drive as a secondary unit, and copy any data you may have on it that is important over to the new drive. (notice I said "data", like saved files, pictures, documents, etc.)

That is exactly what I did . :cry: 
!