GPU making weird noises during Crysis cutscenes

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 14, 2008 3:12:24 PM

I just bought a new rig.

BFG 9800 GX2
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
4 Gb RAM
ASUS P5N-D 750i SLI socket 775

Anyhow, I wanted to test my rig out with Crysis. My problem is that during the cutscenes my computer is making this high pitched squealing noise. I think it is coming from my video card. Is this normal? Is there something wrong with my GPU?
June 14, 2008 3:22:48 PM

ThespianSeagull said:
I just bought a new rig.

BFG 9800 GX2
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
4 Gb RAM
ASUS P5N-D 750i SLI socket 775

Anyhow, I wanted to test my rig out with Crysis. My problem is that during the cutscenes my computer is making this high pitched squealing noise. I think it is coming from my video card. Is this normal? Is there something wrong with my GPU?

How loud is it? It could be power alert or squealing capacitor.
June 14, 2008 3:27:00 PM

Pretty loud. The odd thing is that when I am actually in the game there is no noise, its absolutely quiet. It's just during the cutscenes.
Related resources
June 14, 2008 9:17:34 PM

Does it sound like...OH GOD I CAN'T HANDLE CRYSIS? JK. If you open up your case and listen, can you tell if it is a mechanical noise...like a fan or is it an electronic noise like a beep? I am wondering if your GPU fans ramp up and then make a noise when a GPU intensive scene comes on. Have you tried other programs like 3DMark06 or something?
June 15, 2008 10:50:43 AM

Install riva tuner and in the hardware monitor section enable background monitoring, and check if your GPU fan is going up when your hearing the noise, thats probably it. You can also set it to a constant % and it wont change like it normally does if you dont set it.
June 15, 2008 11:02:56 AM

my 9800gx2 does the same thing nearly all the time during crysis especially when i'm in the crysis menu, but i've already set the fan to100% so i don't know wats causing the noise
July 3, 2008 10:26:49 AM

It may be the hard disk drives. Fowang may come and say it's the resolution of the game that's causing this. Beware the troll.
July 3, 2008 5:49:53 PM

Are you absolutely sure it is your card? I know my DVD-Drive tends to "squeal" very loudly when it is reading something off the dvd/cd at high speeds. Such as cut scenes, for example.
I don't know if Crysis requires the CD to play or not, just giving you my two cents.
July 5, 2008 3:36:53 AM

i have a 9800 gtx, and mine does the same screeching noise. It does it in crysis, or 3dmark o6 or vantage. Not sure what it is, but its deff from the video card, (happens on certain parts on 3dmark such as loading and stuff).
a b Î Nvidia
July 5, 2008 5:23:47 AM

What PSU is running on it?
July 5, 2008 3:02:24 PM

well for mine, i have an antec 500w psu, im cutting it close, but its fine for it. Not sure if it would be making the video card to do such a noise, but who knows ><
April 5, 2009 4:32:20 AM

Hi All, Mine is doing exactly the same thing i have a 5 day old GTX 260 and it squeels in the menu of Crysis and to a lesser extent in the game. I have stopped the fan with my finger to rule out the fan. It is connected to a 750 watt psu i have 3 hdd's and a Q9550 on maximus formula 2 mobo so there is enough power. i cant seem to get it to do it in any other games, any tips on how to get rid of it? should i get my card replaced on warranty?
Anonymous
June 9, 2009 1:50:20 PM

I have a similar issue, I'm running a GTX280 and experienced the same squealing noise during Crysis warheads loading screens followed by the computer immediately shutting down, I returned the game a few months back, however I just insalled sims 3 and guess what.. same squealing sound and shut down. Any help would be appreciated, for now I'm just furious at EA for making me go through the most long-winded registration process in gaming to find that I can't play the game and the CD key also means I can't return it.
March 11, 2011 6:06:34 PM

It's tottaly normal. Most people just don't notice it.

Mine does it too, (and my friend's too we both have an AMD 6950) in many things, crysis, furmark, heaven bench. Everything that stresses the GPU makes a little squealing noise, like you can hear the gpu rendering something. But it's normal you just have to ignore it.

if you try to run a furmark 1.9.0 test then your graphics card will make so much noise you think it's gonna explode. But it is normal.

Also during a windows experience test where the direct 3d and all that stuff is tested, the card will do the same.

Correct me if im not right about it. But i know i am. so .. :non:  hehe :p 

The reason most people don't notice is because their fan's are so loud they won't notice at all. Or maybe they are just not stressing it enough. Once you have discovered the sound it will drive you crazy, so don't try to listen :D 

- That's all im out

Hope it helped! :hello: 
a c 168 Î Nvidia
March 11, 2011 6:40:23 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!