L at the end of a word in G2?

Tags:
September 2, 2004 8:00:04 PM

How do you deal with a letter "l" (ell) at the end of a word? When I do the
vertical line, I get the l, but then when I do the horizontal bar for the
space, it transforms the l into a t. Or am I supposed to make an "L"
movement when it ends a word?

Didier

--
Didier A Depireux ddepi001@umaryland.edu didier@isr.umd.edu
20 Penn Str - S218E http://neurobiology.umaryland.edu/depireux.htm

More about : end word

Anonymous
September 2, 2004 8:24:50 PM

"Didier A. Depireux" <didier@y.glue.umd.edu> wrote in message
> How do you deal with a letter "l" (ell) at the end of a word? When I do
the
> vertical line, I get the l, but then when I do the horizontal bar for the
> space, it transforms the l into a t. Or am I supposed to make an "L"
> movement when it ends a word?
>
> Didier

I do a capital L. Some things won't ever work the way we want on Graffiti 2,
and you can go in and redefine some letters to conform to unique strokes of
your own choosing.

But I still cop out and use the tiny keyboard, sometimes.

> --
> Didier A Depireux ddepi001@umaryland.edu didier@isr.umd.edu
> 20 Penn Str - S218E http://neurobiology.umaryland.edu/depireux.htm
> Anatomy and Neurobiology Phone: 410-706-1272 (lab)
> University of Maryland -1273 (off)
> Baltimore MD 21201 USA Fax: 1-410-706-2512
Anonymous
September 3, 2004 4:29:14 AM

In message <2ppdspFnmqclU1@uni-berlin.de> "Peter Franks"
<hazard53@mailcan.removethis.com> wrote:

>> How do you deal with a letter "l" (ell) at the end of a word? When I do the
>> vertical line, I get the l, but then when I do the horizontal bar for the
>> space, it transforms the l into a t. Or am I supposed to make an "L"
>> movement when it ends a word?
>
>I do a capital L. Some things won't ever work the way we want on Graffiti 2,
>and you can go in and redefine some letters to conform to unique strokes of
>your own choosing.
>
>But I still cop out and use the tiny keyboard, sometimes.

A testimony to G2's usefulness efficiency and ease of use over G1. In
my 5 years with Palm I have never used the keyboard for letters or
numbers, and rarely for punctuation.

--
'Tis far better to have snipped too much than to never have snipped at all.
September 3, 2004 4:29:15 AM

"DevilsPGD" <UseTheReplyToField@crazyhat.net> wrote in message
> In message <2ppdspFnmqclU1@uni-berlin.de> "Peter Franks"
> <hazard53@mailcan.removethis.com> wrote:
>
> >> How do you deal with a letter "l" (ell) at the end of a word? When I do
the
> >> vertical line, I get the l, but then when I do the horizontal bar for
the
> >> space, it transforms the l into a t. Or am I supposed to make an "L"
> >> movement when it ends a word?
> >
> >I do a capital L. Some things won't ever work the way we want on Graffiti
2,
> >and you can go in and redefine some letters to conform to unique strokes
of
> >your own choosing.
> >
> >But I still cop out and use the tiny keyboard, sometimes.
>
> A testimony to G2's usefulness efficiency and ease of use over G1. In
> my 5 years with Palm I have never used the keyboard for letters or
> numbers, and rarely for punctuation.

Did you dedicate yourself to learning G2? "I'm gonna get this learned..."

> --
> 'Tis far better to have snipped too much than to never have snipped at
all.
Anonymous
September 3, 2004 5:23:36 AM

In message <2ppsffFnrm1vU1@uni-berlin.de> "Peter Franks"
<hazard53@mailcan.removethis.com> wrote:

>> A testimony to G2's usefulness efficiency and ease of use over G1. In
>> my 5 years with Palm I have never used the keyboard for letters or
>> numbers, and rarely for punctuation.
>
>Did you dedicate yourself to learning G2? "I'm gonna get this learned..."

I gave it about a week before I needed to actually use the Palm.
Installed G1 and I've been happy ever since.

The biggest issue was trying to use shortcuts... Try a /I or a /T in G2
and let me know how it goes.

--
What's orange, brown, black, and red? Give up?
They're COLOURS, idiot!

Didier A. Depireux wrote:
> How do you deal with a letter "l" (ell) at the end of a word? When I do the
> vertical line, I get the l, but then when I do the horizontal bar for the
> space, it transforms the l into a t. Or am I supposed to make an "L"
> movement when it ends a word?
>
> Didier

I'm using a T3, if i wait for the cursor to blink, it stays an 'l', if i
dont, then it becomes a 't'.

Ben.
Anonymous
September 3, 2004 10:42:28 AM

> In message <2ppsffFnrm1vU1@uni-berlin.de> "Peter Franks"
> <hazard53@mailcan.removethis.com> wrote:
>
> >> A testimony to G2's usefulness efficiency and ease of use over G1. In
> >> my 5 years with Palm I have never used the keyboard for letters or
> >> numbers, and rarely for punctuation.
> >
> >Did you dedicate yourself to learning G2? "I'm gonna get this learned..."
>
> I gave it about a week before I needed to actually use the Palm.
> Installed G1 and I've been happy ever since.
>
> The biggest issue was trying to use shortcuts... Try a /I or a /T in G2
> and let me know how it goes.

Gotta say this: Give 'em L!

> --
> What's orange, brown, black, and red? Give up?
> They're COLOURS, idiot!
September 3, 2004 1:00:39 PM

I hadn't noticed, but mine does the same thing. Waiting a couple of
seconds is a pain, but does correct the problem. Making a continuous "L"
movement, which I normally use, followed by a 'space' still gives the
same error.

I do have a problem with the two strokes for a 'k' or 'K'. It usually
takes several tries to get it in correctly.

The changes from Graffiti 1 to Graffiti 2 are about equally divided
between significant improvements and total screwups.

Didier A. Depireux wrote:

> How do you deal with a letter "l" (ell) at the end of a word? When I do the
> vertical line, I get the l, but then when I do the horizontal bar for the
> space, it transforms the l into a t. Or am I supposed to make an "L"
> movement when it ends a word?
>
> Didier

Anonymous
September 3, 2004 6:16:40 PM

In article <ch7g24$15i$1@grapevine.wam.umd.edu>,
Didier A. Depireux <didier@y.glue.umd.edu> wrote:
>How do you deal with a letter "l" (ell) at the end of a word? When I do the
>vertical line, I get the l, but then when I do the horizontal bar for the
>space, it transforms the l into a t. Or am I supposed to make an "L"
>movement when it ends a word?

On my Tungsten C (so I'm drawing on the screen), I draw the L on the
left of the screen and then do the stroke for the space using the
middle of the screen. Works for me although it took a bit of getting
used to.

Mark
Anonymous
September 3, 2004 10:50:31 PM

Russell" <russell@mitre.org> wrote in message
> I hadn't noticed, but mine does the same thing. Waiting a couple of
> seconds is a pain, but does correct the problem. Making a continuous "L"
> movement, which I normally use, followed by a 'space' still gives the
> same error.
>
> I do have a problem with the two strokes for a 'k' or 'K'. It usually
> takes several tries to get it in correctly.
>
> The changes from Graffiti 1 to Graffiti 2 are about equally divided
> between significant improvements and total screwups.

I gave up and yesterday converted my T3 to G1 - I don't think I'll be going
back! I have found that I need to 'unlearn' some of G2 though.

Austin.
Anonymous
September 4, 2004 12:52:55 AM

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 16:00:04 +0000 (UTC), "Didier A. Depireux"
<didier@y.glue.umd.edu> wrote:

>How do you deal with a letter "l" (ell) at the end of a word? When I do the
>vertical line, I get the l, but then when I do the horizontal bar for the
>space, it transforms the l into a t. Or am I supposed to make an "L"
>movement when it ends a word?

Graffiti 2 is not easier than the original and this is not the only
flaw it has.

Try writing the "l", and wait for one second. Then do the horizontal
bar for a space.

JZ
September 7, 2004 8:21:01 AM

How did you "install G1"
I HATE G2 - would love to go back - but have no idea how.

> I gave it about a week before I needed to actually use the Palm.
> Installed G1 and I've been happy ever since.
September 7, 2004 12:36:44 PM

"Didier A. Depireux" <didier@y.glue.umd.edu> wrote in message news:<ch7g24$15i$1@grapevine.wam.umd.edu>...
> How do you deal with a letter "l" (ell) at the end of a word? When I do the
> vertical line, I get the l, but then when I do the horizontal bar for the
> space, it transforms the l into a t. Or am I supposed to make an "L"
> movement when it ends a word?
>
> Didier

Since no one helped you with your original question, and they just
hijacked your thread to put down Graffiti 2...

To do an "l", draw a line at the LEFT SIDE of the Letter graffiti
area. Then draw the horizontal bar towards the RIGHT SIDE of the
Letter graffiti area. The horizontal line must come after the "l" and
must not intersect it. That's how you do an "l" with a space at the
end.

NOTE: If the horizontal line you draw for the space crosses the "l"
you made, ONLY THEN will it turn into a "t". Do you understand this
notion?

The graffiti would look like this: Like this: l ----
Not: --- l ----

Although I'm a critic of Palm's new devices, I dislike it when people
whine about things like Graffiti 2 and never gave it a chance, cough
like some people in this thread, cough. In many ways, it is better
than Graffiti 1. To downgrade back to Graffiti 1 is like a Win XP user
going back to Win 95.

Au revoir.
Anonymous
September 7, 2004 10:40:17 PM

Frankie <nospam@earthlink.net> wrote:
> How did you "install G1"

http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=5830&cu...

Make sure you follow the exact instruction, or you will have to do a serious
reset.

Didier

--
Didier A Depireux ddepi001@umaryland.edu didier@isr.umd.edu
20 Penn Str - S218E http://neurobiology.umaryland.edu/depireux.htm
Anatomy and Neurobiology Phone: 410-706-1272 (lab)
University of Maryland -1273 (off)
Baltimore MD 21201 USA Fax: 1-410-706-2512
September 8, 2004 12:11:46 AM

> Although I'm a critic of Palm's new devices, I dislike it when people
> whine about things like Graffiti 2 and never gave it a chance, cough
> like some people in this thread, cough. In many ways, it is better
> than Graffiti 1. To downgrade back to Graffiti 1 is like a Win XP user
> going back to Win 95.
>
> Au revoir.

Bravo and ditto! I rarely reply to a post without trying to add
something useful, but I am in total aggreeement here and I needed to
say so.

Greg
Anonymous
September 8, 2004 5:53:31 AM

In message <be09aeca.0409070736.7b9b4b2a@posting.google.com>
darkcomet@att.net (Sceptre) wrote:

>Although I'm a critic of Palm's new devices, I dislike it when people
>whine about things like Graffiti 2 and never gave it a chance, cough
>like some people in this thread, cough. In many ways, it is better
>than Graffiti 1. To downgrade back to Graffiti 1 is like a Win XP user
>going back to Win 95.

I gave it an honest shot. The inability to do a /i was a showstopper
though, plus the fact that most of the characters are more complex (and
therefore take longer to write)

--
Never try to extort more than it would cost to have you killed.
Anonymous

"Sceptre" <darkcomet@att.net> wrote in message
<snip>

> Although I'm a critic of Palm's new devices, I dislike it when people
> whine about things like Graffiti 2 and never gave it a chance, cough
> like some people in this thread, cough. In many ways, it is better
> than Graffiti 1. To downgrade back to Graffiti 1 is like a Win XP user
> going back to Win 95.

Why the analogy to XP and 95 and who is whining? Graffiti 1 is simpler to
use and faster *for me*. Given the choice, I'd prefer to use G1 on my T3
and that's exactly what I'm doing. My text entry has speeded up
considerably and I don't revert to the keyboard nearly as much.

Austin.
Anonymous
September 9, 2004 1:27:51 PM

In article <413f41f9$0$20252$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com>,
Austin Mitchell <amitchell@totalise.co.uk> wrote:
>Why the analogy to XP and 95 and who is whining? Graffiti 1 is simpler to

Quite. From memory, Graffiti 2 wasn't introduced as an improvement -
it was introduced because Graffiti 1 is (and always has been) too
close to unistroke (did I get that right - Xerox's invention?). I
can't imagine anyone believing that the new K for example is better,
easier or quicker than the old K, but the old K (the "God On Board"
symbol :-) was an idea they allegedly stole from others...

Cheers,

Mark (Psion 3c, then 5, then 5mx, then IPAQ, now Tungsten C :-)
!