Why does my wireless on my computer keeps disconnecting...?

ragingazn628

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2007
My router is the Netgear WNR834Bv2 and my wireless adapter on my desktop is ENCORE ENLWI-N PCI 2.3 Wireless Adapter. For some reason I either keep getting HUGE lag spikes while playing WoW or disconnect every 2 minutes! Does anyone know why this is happening? The driver that I am currently using is I believe the most updated from the manufacture's main site http://www.encore-usa.com/product_item.php?region=us&bid=2&pgid=1&pid=269 . I also believe that I have upgraded the firmware of my router to its latest Firmware Version V2.1.13_2.1.13NA. This is all the information I can give out. I hope someone can solve my problem hmmm. Thanks

ragingazn628

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2007
Yeah the wired one that is connected to the laptop next to the router is working perfectly - it is the wireless connection. Doesn't just happen to my computer it happens to my brother's computer also!

lotussama

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
Try changing the channel of your wireless network. If it's 12, make it 1. It it's 1, make it 12. If it's 6, pick one of those. Sounds like this could be an interference problem, how far away from the wireless router are you? A "fair" signal usually will produce a good amount of latency.

AND268Y

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
Sounds like an interferance from another router, as has been metioned before, try setting the channel to 1 or 12. You should be getting a better than a fair reception if your only in the next room. Keep trying different channels until you get a decent signal!!

As your signal decreases, your bandwidth decreases. Add to this you wireless security and your reducing your bandwidth even further!!!

techdeuce

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
in control panel go to network connections
right click on the wireless adapter and choose properties.
Click the tab that says wireless
highlight your SSID and click properties.
The second tab here says authentication,
on it unlick the top tab.
click ok
click ok
close network adapters
see if it stays connected now.

IF it was already unchecked, try borrowing a friends usb wifi adapter and see if it stays hooked. I have seen built in notebook adapters behave similare due to the built in bluetooth controller pinging out for devices as well, even if the bluetooth driver is not installed!. Good luck.

ironhide

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Good day!

You need first to check whether you're indeed getting disconnected from the internet due to signal attenuation or just from the online game your playing.

Try doing this for an hour and let me know the results.

- Go to start> run type cmd press ok.
- Type ping yahoo.com -t press enter.

You need to observe very closely if it will time out.

foxy_roxy

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
For what it's worth try moving the wireless router/computer to a different location in your home. If there is a way to measure signal strength measure it as you move the router/computer. Another suggestion is to have the router+ computer in the same room and see if the signal strength changes to excellent :)

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
This looks like an old thread that's been revived so I assume your initial problem's been solved.

But for anyone else with the same problem; when changing wifi channels be sure to run a scanning program first to see what channels other nearby networks are operating on.

If possible, select a unique channel that's at least 2 channels away from anybody else's channel. You will notice there are always lots of networks occupying channels 6 &11 as these are the most common defaults for most wifi routers.

Witchysis31

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
if you have an older model cordless phone they can disconnect wireless services, mine did... i am having the same problem with my wireless now but its not a cordless this time, my problem is my internet will work normal and have good or better signal strength then out of the blue it shuts off but when it comes back on again it gets local access only and i cant get use the internet it also keeps switching between secure service to unsecured service... i hear alot of pc's with vista on em have this same problem.. id really like to know what it is so that i can fix it.

Tina

tallard

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
This email is regarding the entire student community at Yukon College. In December 09, the college widened it's 'antenna' range for Wifi from the main building to extending to the next buildings.

This wifi is EEAP authenticated, or something like that, and we have to enter 'credentials' to sign in, instead of the more common or usual WEP password windows.

January and February we had regular wifi internet, but with constant drops, sometimes every 10 minutes, sometimes every hour. But for these 2 months, at least we were automatically reconnected without re-authenticating.

Since the past week, drops happen every 2-3 minutes, or at best every 15 minutes. AND we have to re-authenticate each time! My laptop is provided by the school as we need certain high cost programs in class, so it is completely configured by the college.

But it's not just my class' laptops having this problem, it's the entire student community! All wifi interneters at my college are experiencing this!!!!

The reason I write to you is that when I complained to the college computer services a couple of days ago, they said they were not aware of any problems! Now two days later, I ask again, their answer: WE CAN'T FIND ANYTHING WRONG, WE HAVEN'T CHANGED ANYTHING. Too bad for you... is what I heard...

Does this ring any bells to any network manager around here?

IFLATLINEI

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
Wait so your desktop connects with a wireless card and your laptop is wired??

This wouldnt be as bad but you game on the desktop. I understand its not the most demanding game on an internet connection but dude your setup backwards.

For the sake of your gaming community get setup correctly from the getgo and dont try to applie bandaid fixes to a shoddy setup.

ashearin

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010

What did you do to fix this? My phone is causing teh wirless to fail.. it IS DSL.. but its not a netwrok failure, its the wirless.. THANKS in advance.. Ashley

pietervz1

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
Hi guys. I have an IBM laptop and i've been experiencing the same problems, however I don't use mine for gaming. This is a work environment.

I found my own solution, so I'll mention it here for somebody else who may have experienced the same problems.

I went to my Access Conections "Options" window of my Laptop's management centre and I unclicked "Allow the wireless LAN radio to be turned off when inactive"

This sorted my problem out.

For some reason something decided that my connection was inactive every couple of minutes (even though I was working) and I would lose my connection for a couple of seconds and then it would reconnect.

Very annoying.

brandon94

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011

hey so i have the same prob as him i think and i did what you said and mine does time out often... how do i fix that?

HideNSeek

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011

did it for only some 3 minutes and it timed out 5 times

HideNSeek

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011

i did it again and it timed out 6 times in a row after around 20 seconds and for the next 10 minutes i did it for it was all fine

trustworthylion

Distinguished
May 2, 2009

NeedHelpBadly

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011

thejester541

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011

You have to unplug the phone, buy an old one with a cord and use it when gaming/browsing the web, or get rid of the home phone entirely. Cell phone plans are now unlimited.

I just browse the web at the most ungodly hours that if you were to call me I could get away with accuse you of being a vampire. lol.